Input signals to ADC

new2circuits

Joined Apr 22, 2009
Can someone explain the different types of input signals acceptable by an ADC ? from what i understand, the signal (sine wave for example i believe is one type)will have a Voltage (amplitued of sine wave) associated with it. Is this correct ?

Is there a web sit, white paper, or some other source that explains this at a rudimentary level for a novice ?

Thanks in advance.

new2circuits

Joined Apr 22, 2009
Thanks for the help everyone.
This enlightened me. I have to go back to the basics and understand what constitutes +Vin and -Vin a bit more so I can forumlate more insightgul questions. Thanks again.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Can someone explain the different types of input signals acceptable by an ADC ? from what i understand, the signal (sine wave for example i believe is one type)will have a Voltage (amplitued of sine wave) associated with it. Is this correct ?

Is there a web sit, white paper, or some other source that explains this at a rudimentary level for a novice ?

Thanks in advance.
You need to consider the frequency of the signal too and not only its amplitude. It is important to check if your ADC module can respond to the rate of change of the signal.