Inhibiting the phone from ringing

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
That was an option setting on mine.

I cant remember the exact codes, but it was something like:

*88,414-445-6565 (Forward to 414-445-6565, one ring notice)
*89,414-445-6565 (Forward to 414-445-6565, no ring notice)

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I seem to remember in the old days we would dial our own phone number. This would give a busy signal, but you could leave the phone off the hook for a long time that way. I can't say if this still works or not.
If you are in a country where local calls are "free" for any duration then simply call a number that is answered but they don't care if you tie up their phone line all night. (They might listen to how you make babies).

Last edited:

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
That was an option setting on mine.

I cant remember the exact codes, but it was something like:

*88,414-445-6565 (Forward to 414-445-6565, one ring notice)
*89,414-445-6565 (Forward to 414-445-6565, no ring notice)
You must have a carrier other than ATT. This is directly from their web site......

You cannot answer calls when Call Forwarding is activated. As a reminder that Call Forwarding has been activated, you will hear one short ring each time a call is forwarded.

You can make outgoing calls while calls are being forwarded.

If you forward a call, additional local and long-distance charges may apply.

This service is not available in all areas.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Why not create a device that can be an interface to your phone line coming in to the house (I'm sure this is probably somewhere in the basement), this way it would inhibit all the phones in the house from ringing when not wanted.... and you would only have to build one instead of multiple devices....

This could be a battery operated device (possibly just use a wallwart and a battery backup in case of power failure)... have it to where you can program a "time off" and "time on", but also be able to sense when one of the lines in the house is picked up so it can automatically reconnect the lines (this is in case of emergency, better than leaving the phone off the hook and having to wait for a dial tone to come back!!)

Better yet, if you have caller ID service with your phone, then you can make it to where you can program a number, and if that number calls, to let it ring through (just in case you are waiting for an important call).... just some thoughts...... this can all be done with a microcontroller of course

B. Morse

Bluebirdiran

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Hi BMorse,

Now you are talking. Any idea as how to do what you have just said. A microcontroller gives me a lot of flexibility and that is something really nice to have.

Lets start with a good ring detection circuit and build on that. Any ideas??

Thanks
Bluebird

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
The way I was figuring it, microcontroller would be the way to go, and there are IC's out there that could do all the ring detection and Caller ID deciphering.... there is the MT8870 DTMF decoder , the BU8872 DTMF decoder IC, and many more, you would just have to figure out the best one to use, and for the PIC I believe a pic16F628A would do just fine for this project, or something similar.....

B. Morse

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Aparently those MT8870 IC's are hard to find and very expensive.... as an alternative I found this one (HT9172D) from Holtek, seems pretty easy to use so I am ordering some samples, and also this Call progress tone detector (HT9020B), these ought to make a pretty cool phone line device....

Since you posted this question my mind has not stopped coming up with posibilities and options for this device... wouldn't it be cool to just pick up a phone in the house, pressing a few keys on the keypad and be able to close or open a garage door? Or turn on the coffee maker without getting out of bed? Possibilities are endless :rolleyes:.... with a VoiceCoder IC you should be able to play back stored messages for certain people that call when the phone "ringing" is inhibited (possibly to let them know to call back at a certain time, etc....) :cool:.... or even call your house from anywhere and get a "status" report from various sensors, etc... possibilities are almost endless....:D

B. Morse

Bluebirdiran

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Hi BMorse,

Thanks for your efforts. I am sure you will come up withg something interesting. Pls. keep me up to date with the latest.
Thanks
Bluebird

Bluebirdiran

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Hi BMorse,

I am going on vacation for the next couple of weeks. I am sure you will have come up with something Gooood by then.

See you later.

Bluebird

Aparently those MT8870 IC's are hard to find and very expensive.... as an alternative I found this one (HT9172D) from Holtek, seems pretty easy to use so I am ordering some samples, and also this Call progress tone detector (HT9020B), these ought to make a pretty cool phone line device....

Since you posted this question my mind has not stopped coming up with posibilities and options for this device... wouldn't it be cool to just pick up a phone in the house, pressing a few keys on the keypad and be able to close or open a garage door? Or turn on the coffee maker without getting out of bed? Possibilities are endless :rolleyes:.... with a VoiceCoder IC you should be able to play back stored messages for certain people that call when the phone "ringing" is inhibited (possibly to let them know to call back at a certain time, etc....) :cool:.... or even call your house from anywhere and get a "status" report from various sensors, etc... possibilities are almost endless....:D

B. Morse

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...fecef7b&itemid=380159188980&ff4=263602_263622

Wasen't to hard to find. And at 1.50 a pc not to bad for a part thats been discontined for 10+ years.

The Holtek Ht9172 is also a good choice, But did not locate any. It seems the first chioce was easier to find.

Ps Once again BMorse always coming up with those good ideas.

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Finally got my sample IC's today, they sent me 2 of each one, so I guess I know what I am doing this weekend (If I have time, I have to lay a new wood floor in my kitchen this weekend..... I will keep this thread updated with the progress of the "Phone Controller+" project.....

B. Morse

Bluebirdiran

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Hi BMorse,

I am back now and I am very happy to hear that you have received the IC's. Will be looking forward to any updates from you.

Thanks
Bluebird

put a switch on the speaker on the ringer speaker. connect a light to it so that when you turn off the speaker of the ringer then the light glows. and when speaker is on it goes off. or also put a light ringer. when somone calls lights glow but no sound.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
That would have do be done to every phone in the house. And the problem he is having is remembering to switch the ringer back on.. so he is searching for an automated, whole-house solution.