Infrared detector to open lamp.

moorejohn90

Joined Dec 9, 2011
Hi everyone, I have infrared detector(300 W) with two high power bulb(150 W). I want to open relay from N Mosfet that need 5v dc to base.
How do I do it? I think, I need to transform 220V(150 W)Ac from lamp holder to DC and step down for getting 5v dc with the way of voltage driver and trigger N channel Mosfet to open relay and open other Ac load (40 W, lamp).

By the way, I don't know how to transform Ac to dc, am I use dc adapter or not?

Thanks.:D

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
The easiest way is to get yourself a cellphone charger with a USB output, this will provide you with 5V DC from the mains input voltage.

The rest of what you want is not clear.
Do you want to turn on an additional light bulb? Triggered by what? The PIR as well?

Thanks for providing a more detailed description.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
To open a lamp you can break its glass bulb.

You can open or close a door or window.
But you turn on or turn off a lamp.

moorejohn90

Joined Dec 9, 2011
Hi praondevou, Thank for you reply, I know the way of using DC adapter but I don't want AC directly from my house's AC port.
Sorry for my confusing question.
Normally, my infrared detector give AC electricity from my house's AC port for opening bulb when infrared detector detect something.
For instance, I want to use it to open 40 W lump(or other load) in my bedroom when I get in to my room (IR detector detect me). I want to detect to me not for thief. When I open my IR detector cover, I found many wire.
Two wire for giving AC volt to detector to work. Two wire to open bulb and another two wire to another bulb. One wire to sensor and one wire from sensor. I want to use two wire for opening one bulb instance to trigger relay for opening other load. So I got AC volt when my detector detect any movement. Am I use getting Ac volt from one of bulb socket and give it AC source to DC adapter?
I hope you can help me again.
Thanks.

I also thanks to Audioguru.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Please use "turn ON a lamp" , not "Open". It confuses.;)

If you have a load that requires DC voltage, yes you could take the wires that are connected to your AC lamp and connect them to your AC/DC power adapter. Of course there are ways to build your own small power supply and incorporate it into the IR detector. But the safest thing for a beginner would be to do it the AC adapter way.

If you post a picture of the IR detector showing the wires we could give some more advice.
Also you should decide what load you want to connect, I don't get why you would need a 5V DC voltage to switch a MOSFET to switch a relay to turn on a 40W lamp if you could connect the lamp directly. Or is it because you already use the maximum load the IR detector can handle?

What do you mean by:
"For instance, I want to use it to open 40 W lump(or other load) in my bedroom when I get in to my room (IR detector detect me). I want to detect to me not for thief. " ?

How is the bedroom 40W lamp related to the 2x 150W light bulbs?
How is the detector supposed to distinguish between you and a thief?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
If the thief wears a coat and mask then he radiates no IR and he will not be detected.
Maybe the OP runs around naked and radiates IR all over the place.

moorejohn90

Joined Dec 9, 2011
I got the way to trigger relay for playing AC loading with N channel Mosfet when I read microcontroller books(Arduino).
I want to use that way 5v dc from my IR detector instance of dc 5v(from micro-controller) to trigger relay from mosfet.
So I want to use AC source that is used to turn on one bulb(150 W) to trigger relay and give power for opening other AC load.

Like this.
1- Ac source from one of bulb socket (I want to use one wire from second row left socket("2 wire to lamps(it maybe positive V))that show in the following pic)
2- Transform that AC to 5v Dc source (how to make it)
3- 5V dc source is use to trigger N channel Mosfet
4- Mosfet is use to trigger relay
5- Relay is use to run other AC load ( I want to open my 3x 40 W fluorescent lamp) in my bed room.
The socket in my IR detect is like this

-------------
GND | O O |
2 wire to lamps(it may be positive v)| O O | 1 wire from sensor
Neutral In | O O |1 wire to lamp &
1 wire to sensor (it may
be Neutral wires)
Line in | O O |1 wire to sensor (it
------------ may be positive V)

Thanks for your help.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I would prefer 12V over 5V. You don't need a MOSFET. The AC adapter can drive a relay directly.

Connect an AC outlet to the lamp output of the IR detector. You could use for example a simple extension cord where you cut the plug off.

Then plug the AC adapter into the extension cord socket. It will be energized and therefore supplying 5V /12V to power your relay which is in your bedroom (near a power outlet). Connect it the way drawn in the schematic.

There are other ways to do it, including wireless and by building your own power supply etc, but it's the safest like this. It would actually be preferable to not mess around with AC voltages if you do not have the experience.

Are you trying to build something that warns you / wakes you up if the IR detector which I assume to be located somewhere else is activated by an intruder?
Why not use lower voltage lamps in your bedroom then? That would be safer. Why does it need to be 3x40W (incandescent I assume)?

Attachments

moorejohn90

Joined Dec 9, 2011
Thanks praondevou, you always reply to my post. Yep, I want to make a circuit like in your diagram. The aim of this circuit is to test my first experience of electronic. Try to use Mosfet, relay and sensor. And I don't want to open lamp manually by using switch. :)

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
My first experience with electronics was when I plugged a 12V lamp

into a 220V AC outlet.

I'm sure you know the dangers of mains AC voltages but if this is your FIRST experience with electronics I really suggest you start with something less mortal .