Information needed regarding the use of A rotary encoder on a PCB, possible? or is there another version

foruuser

Joined Oct 31, 2021
I am using this rotary encoder for a arduino based project it has gnd s1 s2 key and +, I need to use this kind of rotary encoder that is fully compatible for my project, it is going to be tricky to use such a tall component on a pcb version of my project, is there another version of this rotary? more flat any help needed !!
thanks

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
How do you intend to rotate the shaft?
In the one shown, the knob could be removed and the shaft shortened and use other means of rotation !

foruuser

Joined Oct 31, 2021
thanks for your answer,
does this model that you have provided replace my model and make it smaller?
does it send out the information exactly the same way my model does? with S1 S2 key info?
because i am worried that the information won't be dealed the same way and conflict with my arduino and circuit

foruuser

Joined Oct 31, 2021
hi max,
my main concern is all the different levels that are on the bottom of the knob, the metal the black plastic edge the little circuit thickness and then the beginning of the structure of the knob, I will have a push button on the pcb and the heigth of it is 4 mm ! which is the height at which i would like to have a plastic cover, the rotary is going to pop out of all this

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
4mm seems rather low profile to find a rotary switch/encoder. How are you wishing to rotate it? Manually? What is the resolution of the one you show?
Edit: I see it is photo-electric and 20 p/rev.

Last edited:

foruuser

Joined Oct 31, 2021
the base of this one looks around 4 mm and looks perfect for the job.
yes it is rotated by hand its for a music device so the rotating chooses notes like on a piano.
i am looking for the resolution i think its 20 steps, that why i find it hard to find info they just tell the size of it and put a large buy it button..

looks good
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CML-Positi...5707856&sprefix=rotary+encoder,aps,99&sr=8-20

the models you are pointing out dont have the bottom blue circle circuit,
so my question is what is that part for? maybe it will help me know if I need that part

yep its 20 steps,
does the bottom blue circle have to do with arduino compatibility? thx

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Raw, not including the conditioning (pull-up) resistors for the photo detectors, those shown in your original type as I assume that is what they are for.?
What does the push down achieve?

foruuser

Joined Oct 31, 2021
I just found some useful information !
the rotary connections are named GND + CLK SW DT
that should help us clarify what i need ?

the push down click erases notes being played in a pattern/sequence
to be able to start a new melody

foruuser

Joined Oct 31, 2021
oops clk sw and dt was on an older rotary used, the new one has key S1 S2 gnd +
the KEY connector goes to the A3 connector on arduino (analog?)
and the two other S1 and S2 go to D2 and D3 (digital?)
any arduino fans here?

foruuser

Joined Oct 31, 2021
yes sorry for the fussing,
ok so now i will start the pcb layout using the same rotary i have because i have not found any alternative.
do you know where to find someone to design my pcb on a budget? its my first project so i don't have much cash.
but my arduino code and the circuit diagram are available and are fully functional, so it shouldn't take long for someone
to design this. do you also know which format I should ask this person to deliver the pcb layout so that i don't have any trouble down the road when i hand this pcb layout to a manufacturer (again if you know any budget online manufacturers)
thank you