Inferno TV Text

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Atferrari, your absolutley right! But mine is on a single chip! The display card (all components built in), is also pin compatable with HDD44780 LCD displays (but not software compatable).

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The closest I've ever been of all that was when showing text on a scope.

Attached pictures: my first attempt and the final stable version of the software.

Worked nicely with mutiple screens. Implemented with a PIC 18F4431 in Assembler. (The stumbling block was in fact, focusing my camera properly because the auto-stupid took the glass mask as a reference instead of the screen itself).

I felt very well when I learnt how to kill the retrace to get those characters neat by driving the Z axis)!!

Attachments

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Sounds like a cool project Mitch. :)

Can you post a schematic and photos? I don't download people's PDFs for security reasons and your mediafire page crashes my browser.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
(but not software compatable).
I think that's going to hurt your product. Most people doing product development are very reluctant to modify code that is working. I don't know how much effort it would take to make it truly drop-in compatible, but it would be a big selling point if you can pull it off.

Signetics, National and others made "single chip" CG's back when. Fun days.

ak

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
How many lines and characters? Will it do graphic pixels or just text only?

So for dumb questions but as I said before your mediafire page won't work for me so I can't see anything about your project. :(

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
Hi Mitch,

Nice effort and nice job on the datasheet.

Not to detract from your excellent project, but, have you seen Geoff's ASCII Terminal project? It has a PS/2 keyboard port and video output is 18x50 PAL, 15x50 NTSC, and 24x80 or 36x80 VGA using a 32MX processor (in a 28-pin PDIP package).

Regards, Mike

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
I don't know. Sorry.

It would be a perfect solution for driving one of those little inexpensive 7" or larger flat screen NTSC displays for a PIC or vintage 65C02 project.

Let me know if you find a PCB or kit available, please?

Regards, Mike

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Will do. Maybe one the two big Aussie suppliers will kit it. I'll post something if that happens. :)

Or maybe Mitch will kit his? But I would much prefer the 18 lines of 50 chars compared to 16 lines of 32 chars. After the expense and work of building it I would definitely prefer more chars on screen.