Inexpesnive PWM driver

newothegreat

Joined May 3, 2012
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone had a good and inexpensive PWM driver they could recommend. I'm driving a TEC at >2A, and my supply voltage is 9V (TEC voltage is between 1 and 2 volts max). I was looking at the DRV series from TI/Burr-Brown (DRV102, because Vs min is less than 9 and it's TO-220), but they were running around 8 bucks a pop. I'm not asking anyone to do my research for me, but I figured someone already had a part in mind that they've worked with that fit my needs.

Basically, I'm taking a voltage reading from the thermistor, sending it through a conditioning stage(yet to be designed), and using the output to control the PWM driver. I only need the TEC to cool, because it's attached to a laser that provides a good amount of heat itself.

Thanks guys

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Your TEC module has more in common with an LED than a solenoid, (non-inductive load) I would look into using a modern LED buck converter / current controller like the Allegro A6210.

The thermal time constant of A TEC is pretty long so you could PWM the current controller at some low frequency via the DISABLE input to regulate the temp.

newothegreat

Joined May 3, 2012
Thanks for the help pointing me in the right direction. I think I'm going to get a current sense PWM controller and hook the output up to a mosfet connected to the tec and LC filter, so I have the option to use the TEC in both directions if I wanted to use it as a heater also.