Inductor Mistakes?

LisaMarie

Joined Jul 6, 2012
I'm very new and not sure if I'm posting in the right spot. I'm studying the E-Book and learning a lot, but I think that maybe something is wrong in the following: (Volume I: DC / Chapter 15: Inductors/ Series and Parallel Inductors)

The formula for calculating the series total inductance is the same form as for calculating series resistances:

And then instead of a formula (if I understand correctly, should be Ltotal = L1 +L2+...Ln), it has the following:

Same with the parallel:

The formula for calculating the parallel total inductance is the same form as for calculating parallel resistances:

And then has a table below it for gauge / turns-inch.

Perhaps those should be in the "Factors affecting Inductance" section?

Last edited by a moderator:

LisaMarie

Joined Jul 6, 2012
Volume I: DC / Chapter 15: Inductors / RC and L/R Constants

As was stated before, one time constant is the amount of time it takes for any of these values to change about 63 percent from their starting values to their (ultimate) final values. For every time constant, these values move (approximately) 63 percent closer to their eventual goal. The mathematical formula for determining the precise percentage is quite simple:

And then is followed by:

This isn't right, is it?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Welcome to AAC!

A thread belongs to the OP (original poster). Trying to take over someone elses thread is called hijacking, which is not allowed at All About Circuits. I have therefore given you a thread of your very own.

This was split from ebook correction .

I don't know if you are right or not, but we'll look into it. Thanks for pointing it out.