Induction Triac operation

Magicfingers

Joined Jul 9, 2006
I need some help in the design of a triac circut that is triggered by an induction coil. The idea is that I wind a coil and pass a conductor to a large power tool thru it. When the tool is energized the induction created in the coil triggers the triac and other tools are energized after a time delay has elapsed. like a vacum system etc. I already have the timer section built so no worries there. I would like to be able to adjust the sensitivity of the system for brake over (POT in the system to determine to at what induction level the triac conducts) I will probably take the output to a small relay. I am not sure what to specify as far as what triac to use, what to specify as far as brakeover voltage, max power, etc. I am a beginner so extended explanations would be really helpful. :confused:
Thanks
Eric

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm having a great deal of difficulty visualizing what you are talking about. Is this about using the induction coil to enable power to the other tools or is it about sensing the turn on of the first tool to enable power to the other tools? Why would you want to do this?

Magicfingers

Joined Jul 9, 2006
Here is the whole idea. I have a friend who uses several large tools that run on three phase power. Mainly woodworking tools. He has a vacum system to remove dust from the tools and another vacum system to remove fumes. The idea is to wrap the coil around one leg of the three phase power of the larger tools and when they are turned on then it will trigger either the dust vac or the fume vac. I had seen a commercial unit for several hundred dollars and upon opening it I could ID the parts but how they were attached was obsured due to the epoxy packaging. If I can break the system down then I can intigrate it into every tool on the floor, saving energy from leaving the systems on all the time and needless trips across the floor to the fan control panel. So in essence the answer is use the induction to trigger the gate on a triac. Use the magnetic field created when power is consumed to trigger another circut that runs on a different voltage and circut and make it expandable or adaptable. clear as mud.
MF

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
OK, I see the problem you are trying to solve. What you want is a series of programmable electical outlets. This kind of thing is done in industrial control systems all the time. They use relays, timers, and PLCs. I'm not sure about your proposed solution, but I think if you break it down into pieces, test and verify each piece the you have some chance of success.

If you place a coil around the line cord for a tool, how much voltage and current comes out when the tool turns on? What guage wire are you using and how many turns is it?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I think we might be talking about a rogowski coil. A rogowski coil at the panel would have an output when any 3-phase machine in the shop was used. Output, fed through opto-isolator, could trigger a triac for the blowers.