Induction into wires

Jamie2000

Joined Jan 17, 2012
Hi,
I am interested in electronics, and have been reading about electromagnetic inductance.
I was wondering if it would be possible to induce a current into 2 wires going through a toroidal transformer (or something else). If so, would it be possible to power something from it, such as a 12V ac bulb?
There is much information about inductance on the internet and in books, but little information regarding induction into wires. I would appreciate anyone’s help in answering this question.

Kind regards,
Jay

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Yes, a transformers have wide variety of output voltages. Transformers are essentially two tightly coupled inductors.

I think you understand that, but I think I am missing your question.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
as he ^^ said what you are talking about IS how a transformer works and just about everything "electronic" that you plug into a wall has one (as far as this site is concerned as transformerless power supplies are a no-no here).. you can read about them till your eyes fall out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I suspect Jamie2000 was thinking of a concept in which a (bi-filar) pair of conductors are passed through the hole of a toroidal core which is energized by a winding on the toroidal core. He was proposing that one could induce a voltage in that pair of wires which could somehow be used to power another circuit.

That wont work because each wire would receive an identical induced voltage resulting in zero nett difference in the induced voltage between the two conductors.

Obviously if just one of the wires were used to power something this reduces to a case of a simple step-down transformer. In any event the transformer turns ratio would probably be too small to provide any useful output voltage.

Interestingly this idea does have some basis in practical electrical engineering devices - the current transformer comes to mind.