Indian Govt Okays Number Portability in 4 Metros

extremeads1

Joined Feb 10, 2007
hi friends,i 'm in the final year diploma engg of EXTC engg and this news is a great topic to discuss on.does anyone have any idea how the switching of operators without the change in the user's mobile number will take place . I'm as good as a newbie to this switching concept but this is a gr8 opportunity for me to get associated with new concepts of telecomm and i feel you all people would also scratch your head to give a thought on this.i would like to ask some questions pls help me in finding the answers to them :
1) the new gen mobile phones operate on the TDM concept where in the users can be alloted the same frequency as the users are switched in different time slots.if this is so. suppose 2 such users are subscribed to the same operator and if 1 of the user switches to another operator then what is done exactly ?
a. the user frequency is handed over to new operator which will modulate a different carrier.
b.or is it that the subsriber line is handed over to the new operators network?
c. or will there be a dirct merging of the different operator's switching systems ?
this may sound senseless but as far as my concepts are concerned this is my way of thinking . now its your turn friends .

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
If I'm being honest, I understand the technical concepts of FDM (1st Gen), TDM (2nd Gen) and CDM (3rd Gen), however how this apportions to the individual mobile operators is somewhat a mystery to me. My below assumption is purely my speculative conjecture.

I think the switching of operators has little/no effect. The operators buy bandwidth, so when you transfer your operator from one to another then you consume a portion of their allocated bandwidth from the spectrum. Shifting operator means you only switch whose allocation you consume.

Dave

sharma2k7

Joined Dec 10, 2007
can we change providers with different technology? b'cause in india reliance and tata only uses CDMA other operators(airtel,vodafone,aircell,idea cellular) still on GSM