increasing solar panel current

aew2020

Joined Mar 17, 2009
Hi... I was wondering if it is possible to increase the current output of a 100 watt 24.3v panel from 3.8 amps with a transformer or other type of amplifier.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Power = Voltage * Current

100W is all you can get without adding more panels in parallel for more current, or series for more voltage at the same current.

Transfomers only work with AC, solar panels provide DC. There are switching regulators that would give you a lower voltage at a higher current, but efficency issues arise, so when all is said and done, the total power output could be below 80W, with the 100W input.

aew2020

Joined Mar 17, 2009
Thank you thatoneguy for the insight, I am willing to sacrifice some efficiency for the gained current if the current is steady (given that the source or sun is steady). Would the regulator you are talking about be something I could buy somewhere. I build the panels and I am just tinkering with new ideas to increase the power if possible.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
There are several solar charge controllers that will do voltage level switching combined with automatic charge maintenance of deep cycle batteries. If you are building the panels from scratch, you can wire them for any output at the start. Each cell puts out roughly 2V at a low current. A large number are then wired in series and parallel to make a panel that has a voltage around multiple of 2, with the total power decided by the number of cells.

aew2020

Joined Mar 17, 2009
Thanks again... Well the cells I use are .55v and 3.6 amps at no load other than the multimeter and the way I connect them is neg to pos through the entire circuit of 44 cells and the output in full sun is 23.6 v and 3.89 amps through a 6 amp blocking diode. This is how Ive always done this but if there is a better way for more amperage output please let me know. It seems to be hard to get info on this.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
As explained above, increasing the current will take some toll from the converter circuitry.
What is your desired current capability at what voltage ?

Try a mirror or two, to project two or three suns onto the panel, and watch its fuse.

Mirrors at 45° can help ---> \_/

Miguel

Dear all,
I think you can use buck converter.
I you use buck converter you can increase current but you will decrease output voltage and the main advantage is you can put the solar panel in the MPP I see this is very important point.

pilko

Joined Dec 8, 2008
I am not sure if you understand that you can connect the cells in series or parallel or a combination of both.For example,you can double the current by connecting two series strings in parallel.
If you connect two series strings of 30 cells in parallel you will get 16.5 volts at 7.7 amps

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I am just tinkering with new ideas to increase the power if possible.
Please be aware that any increase in current will be accompanied by a proportional (or greater) drop in voltage. Power can only be increased by improving cell efficiency, by adding more cells, or by getting more light.

aew2020

Joined Mar 17, 2009
Thank you.... I think that is what I was looking for and I am trying that now. Hopefully it works, at this point any increase in amps will be great. I will let you all know how it turns out tomorrow. Again.. I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!