Increasing Output Voltage

Morita

Joined Jan 7, 2012
Hello everyone...again I find myself requiring a bit of assistance:

I need to increase the output voltage of a circuit I'm using so that it can run a group of LED's.

I'll try to simplify it as much I can: I'm using an IR sensor that produces a V-out of around +/- .03V. I'm trying to use that signal to trigger and run a group of LED's, so far I'm looking at around 10-15 LED's. I'm aware that I'll need around 2V to run each LED so I'm looking at around 20-30V to be produced.

So my question is this: How can I increase the V-out of my IR sensor to produce that much juice? Aside from getting a different sensor, I was advised to used OP-Amps and to build a Step Up circuit, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to get a tutorial to build said circuits.

Thanks in advance!

P.S: Also....I would like to know if anyone knows of a reputable site in which I can buy Solenoids from....Thanks again!

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
The max supply current is spec'd at 30mA 'Typ.' and 40mA 'Max.'.

So, even if you use a parallel LED configuration you won't be able to drive that many LEDs directly from the chip. I think you're far better off stringing them in series and driving them from a single ended OPAMP, who's input is connected to the sensor's output.

Chris

Morita

Joined Jan 7, 2012
Alright thanks for the reply, i am still wondering exactly how to up the V-Out on the IR. I need an Op-Amp as you said, but what circuit, if any?

Morita

Joined Jan 7, 2012
I am not sure what that is exactly, so i do not know what it does. If i do know it is not coming to me atm. So on that note, would that bump my voltage or just drive the LED's? The main reason i ask is because i also wanted the IR to trigger sound too and i need to make sure it has enough voltage. I do not know what i am going to do to play the sound so i can say how much voltage i will need. I just need it to be more then .3v :p that wont even run 1 LED.

Thank you for the help you are giving me tho.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
I'm thinking of something like this. Each LED string will pull about 21mA for a total of 42mA.

Edit: C1 changed from 3.3uF to .1uF

Attachments

Last edited:

Morita

Joined Jan 7, 2012
Hmm okay so that would work with the LED's but would i be able to setup a sound module at all, so the IR triggers it too. With this setup i mean.

Morita

Joined Jan 7, 2012
As i said in a post before i am not sure what module i am going to use. I wanted to up the voltage first before picking one. It doesnt need to run that long tho, 10 to 20 seconds would work.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
Well, it'll be rather difficult and bass ackwards to design the trigger for it without knowing what I'm triggering.

Morita

Joined Jan 7, 2012
I guess that would be the truth, today then i will try to find a module i can use today and if i do find one i will post it asap.

Morita

Joined Jan 7, 2012
Alright, i am working on looking for a sound module that is somewhat cheap because i am running low on money. Thank you for all your help tho, i will post one right once i find one.

Morita

Joined Jan 7, 2012
@PaulEE
I am not sure to be honest. It is a project for school but i dont know much about sound modules.

@CDRIVE
If it will playback and record it will work. I do not really understand how the IR triggers the circuit and i am not sure how the voltage even works out in that that kind of circuit. I can buy that, if it will work. >.< i wouldnt even mind not knowing how it works but i need to make a power point and explain it all.