increase signal input on LM3914

laurich

Joined Jan 22, 2011
I got my LM3914 bargraph to work finally. I really want to thank SgtWookie and AudioGuru for all their help. I have another request hopefully it won't be too involved. In the attached circuit R1 is 680 ohms, R2 is removed and bypassed to ground, the supply voltage is about 9 vdc. My problem is the signal input only allows 4 to 5 LED's to light. Is there any "simple" way to amplify this signal to have all ten LED's lit. The signal come from a small generator my daughter made and I really need all 10 LED's to light. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Ahh, is this the thread from where you were trying to sort stuff out?
Link: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=48799

You know, we really do need an accurate schematic of your entire circuit.
Showing us something from the datasheet and then saying "It's just like this, except..." just makes it that much harder for us to help you, as it usually generates more questions than provides answers. It is very easy to misinterpret what people write, or intended to write.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
But he needs less voltage, not more. He already has it set at minimum.

You appear to be getting only about 0.6V from the generator. The simplest fix is probably to connect a 4.7k resistor in series with a 10k pot, wired as a rheostat, between REF OUT (pin 7) and RHI (pin 6).

EDIT: I should make it clear that this does not increase the input signal; it reduces the voltage spacing between comparator thresholds.

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
"R2 is removed and bypassed to ground"???
Then pin 8 has a capacitor to ground instead of being connected to ground?

If pin 8 is connected to ground then the 10th LED lights when the input is at +1.25V.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
"R2 is removed and bypassed to ground"???
Then pin 8 has a capacitor to ground instead of being connected to ground?

If pin 8 is connected to ground then the 10th LED lights when the input is at +1.25V.
I thought he used "bypassed" to mean "shorted". You and I know what bypassed means, in electronic parlance. The OP probably does not.

laurich

Joined Jan 22, 2011
Ron H, thank you that did the trick. I was able to adjust my voltage for 0.65 as max and it works great. Guys I,m a 55 yo nurse who works alot in a busy ER and I haven't been able to find the time to acquire and learn one of those schematic programs. I did work in the electronic field while in the USAF but that was in 1979 and most of our equipment used vacuum tubes. Much has changed since then. My 6th grader is doing a science project with magnets and we thought it would be nice to use this LED display to show the results. I realize the work you do here is free of charge and I really do appreciate it.
Thanks

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Ron H, thank you that did the trick. I was able to adjust my voltage for 0.65 as max and it works great. Guys I,m a 55 yo nurse who works alot in a busy ER and I haven't been able to find the time to acquire and learn one of those schematic programs. I did work in the electronic field while in the USAF but that was in 1979 and most of our equipment used vacuum tubes. Much has changed since then. My 6th grader is doing a science project with magnets and we thought it would be nice to use this LED display to show the results. I realize the work you do here is free of charge and I really do appreciate it.
Thanks
Excellent! I think it's great that you went to so much effort to help your daughter with her science project.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
Well hello thread status, thank you for the information
It's nice that you appreciate the information, but posting to threads that have been inactive for 8 years without adding significant additional relevant information isn't appreciated. You bring it to the attention of members who monitor new posts and, if the other posters in the thread haven't disabled notifications, your post will summon them to a superfluous post.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Just stating a fact. Most members don't appreciate old threads being reincarnated without adding new, useful information.

I did not intend to be disrespectful or humorous.
you gentlemen are like rockstars helping everyone I got a little nervous when you responded it was my feeble intent to be humorous. Forgive me

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
you gentlemen are like rockstars helping everyone I got a little nervous when you responded it was my feeble intent to be humorous. Forgive me
There's nothing to forgive. I made a few mistakes when I first joined and I had a some members jump down my throat. I wanted to avoid that happening to you.

If you want to be abused, go to the Arduino or Raspberry Pi forums.