Increase ir led range

swapnil_revankar2004

Joined Feb 16, 2013
Hi . i am working on laser tag gun project . i wanna increase my ir led range .i am currently getting a range of around 100 feet approximately but i wanna increase the range to about 500 feet or more. I am using a normal remote ir led and magnifying lens which helped me to achieve a 100 feet range . The ir led is provided with a 5 volts power through arduino . Plz help ...Thanks

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Hi . i am working on laser tag gun project . i wanna increase my ir led range .i am currently getting a range of around 100 feet approximately but i wanna increase the range to about 500 feet or more. I am using a normal remote ir led and magnifying lens which helped me to achieve a 100 feet range . The ir led is provided with a 5 volts power through arduino . Plz help ...Thanks
What is the current supplied to the IR LED?
What are the specs for the LED?

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
The current supplied is 5 volts it is supplied through arduino . and the specs is double convex lens 40mm diameter and the focal length is 115 mm .
Voltage and current are 2 different things:
This might help:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_2/1.html

If you are driving the LED from 5 volts you will need to limit the current through the LED (if you are not already doing that.)

Can you please post your circuit?
And the specifications for the LED -

I'm not an optics guy, maybe someone can shed some light on the lens ;)

swapnil_revankar2004

Joined Feb 16, 2013
Hi
I did limit the current earlier with a 100 ohms resistor but then my range was about 50 feet.i did read in one forum that if we increase the power to led the range increases ,so i did that and was able to achieve a range of about a 100 feet.The ir led that i am using is 940nm led .

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You still have not provided the specs of the IR led.
A data sheet would be helpfull.
Also a drawing of the optical setup would be helpfull.

Bertus

swapnil_revankar2004

Joined Feb 16, 2013
Hi
Thnks for the post .After reading it what i understand is, i have to place the led at a point where the image gets blurred .Thats not what i have done now ,i have placed the led at point where the image is clear .so will try that ..Thank u ..