inclinometer

gotumal

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hi,

In my project, I need to get very precise angular position of a device.

I was searching over net and found many MEMs and other types of inclinometers, accelerometers and gyrometers.

My thinking was,
inclinometers: for angular position,
accelerometer:linear acceleration/decceleration,
accelerometer:angular acceleration/decceleration,

But I found that there is no standard nomenclature followed by many manufactueres. Could you please help me getting the correct meanings and recommend some good devices?

My main criteria are accuracy:0.3' and speed:30Hz

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
You state that your accuracy is 0.3 minutes of arc. Is it possible that you are actually looking for a resolution of 0.3 minutes of arc? If so, then that would indicate that you needed to be able to tell the difference between 23 degrees 14.2 minutes and 23 degrees 14.5 minutes.

If the range of inclination is limited to a few degrees off the vertical then there may be some hope of a practical solution. What is the range of the inclination that you need to measure? For example, +/- 10 degrees 30 minutes off the vertical?

hgmjr

Last edited:

gotumal

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I would be using two independent inclinometers to get aligned with each other angularly with ± 0.3'. So I think, just having that much resolution wont help since I need repeatability and syncronicity between these two.

The range of measurement is ± 15° to a vertical axis.

Alberto

Joined Nov 7, 2008
Several years ago, I did projected such a sensor using an optical encoder 3600 pulses per turn, dual channels and an up/down counter. I did use the borrow and carry of the decade counter to trigger the event at +- 1 degree and compensate for the variation. resolution was 0.1 degree.

Using a higher resolution encoder you can achieve easily 0.05 deegre or better, and with microprocessor handling the data it could turn out to suite your inclinometer application.

Alberto

gotumal

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thanks Alberto,

But my application demand a stand alone device without any fixed assembly which may be required for optical encoder. So At this moment, I can think of only a magnetc sensors like MEMs inclinometers.