In-car ceramic 12v heater...

gte

Joined Sep 18, 2009
I know this was already suggested, but this is the main reason remote starters were invented.

If you have a manual, you tie it into the e brake as a safety feature. The ceramic heater would kill your battery quite quickly and that is going to be, by far, the most ample power supply you'll have. A remote power supply/reservoir and solar charger are not going to cut it.

I'll humor you and say this was built and working, then you have the safety of a ceramic heater in an upholstered automobile. The reason your vehicle has 2 or 3 strips of steel in between the engine compartment (where your current heat for your car is generated) and the interior of the car is for safety, there is a reason it is called a firewall.

gbrennan

Joined Aug 6, 2012
But if the heater is on the dash where it should be and is re-wired with suitable cabling, would it still be an issue?

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
I assume that your car sits outside.
If it lived in a garage,you could probably get an engine block heater,so that your car heater would work immediately.
Of course,you would have to unplug it from the mains before you drove off,or it could be very embarrassing!:D

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
When we lived in Cheyenne, my dad had to use a torch onto the oil pan under the car to thin the oil enough to allow the engine to start.

This was a few years back....

I have seen heaters that drop into the dipstick opening.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I assume that your car sits outside.
If it lived in a garage,you could probably get an engine block heater,so that your car heater would work immediately.
Of course,you would have to unplug it from the mains before you drove off,or it could be very embarrassing!:D
When we lived in Cheyenne, my dad had to use a torch onto the oil pan under the car to thin the oil enough to allow the engine to start.

This was a few years back....

I have seen heaters that drop into the dipstick opening.

You guys do know the op is talking about warming the inside of the car, not the oil, or the engine.... :rolleyes:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Yes,but if the cooling system water is heated,the normal heater will work immediately,instead of waiting for the engine to warm up.
An engine block warmer does not circulate the engines cooling system, so I doubt that you would get that much heat from it.... :rolleyes:

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
An engine block warmer does not circulate the engines cooling system, so I doubt that you would get that much heat from it.... :rolleyes:
I must admit I have only seen the car ones for sale,but I have had experience with the block warmers in stationary diesels,which do warm the water in the water jackets.

Even if the radiator was full of cold water,all the water in the block would be heated.
The thermostat doesn't completely stop the flow of water,but lets a trickle through,so that over hours,some hot water would "thermosyphen" through to the radiator.