improper fractions

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
when adding or subtracting improper fractions that include whole numbers the calculator will give you a different answer to the one you got if you do it by hand. the calculator will even give you a different answer to whats in the "book". i dont no what answer to believe the calculator or the book ?

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
You're probably making a mistake somewhere (or <gasp> trolling :p). We can't give you any advice unless you give the example and the model number of the calculator, along with what you actually typed in and the results you saw.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
my mistake the calculators putting the fractions in there simplest form but still dont no why "they" havnt, but il give you an example anyway:
simplify: 3 2/3 + 2 1/6

calculator: 7/3

book: 5 5/6

scientific casio , latest model

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
so how did the calculator end up with 7/3 with whole numbers included in improper fractions? when simplifying multiplication of standard fractions i keep halfin the answer i get then divide by either 3 or 7 to find the prime numbers .im gona try and give this method a go down the line somewhere

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
yes its pilot error i wasnt pressing shift before the fraction buttion i was pressing the fraction button then using the D pad to put the number in front. i get 35/6 on calc then simplified its 5 5/6, i take it calculators dont put whole numbers and fractions together?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
depends on the calculator. Some will take an improper fraction as input, then simplify it, others won't. Some HP Calcs will allow you to say "Give me answers as 128ths", and the decimal results are rounded to the nearest 128th, but will display as 1/4 if the number is 0.25, or 127/128 if the decimal is practically one.