Impedences and phasor diagrams. Help please.

imperialcollegestudent

Joined Aug 30, 2006
In trying to construct the phasor diagram for the attached circuit, I am unsure (with regards to the RC circuit) whether I can calculate the combined impedence of the 10K resistor and the 100nF capacitor by simple addition, or by vector addition on a phasor diagram.

Attachments

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Maybe you should go to the library and read a basic circuit book first to get the basic understanding. Something like Boylestad or similar. I'm sure the Imperial College library has them.

It is much easier, in my opinion, to move forward if you possess the basic understanding.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
In trying to construct the phasor diagram for the attached circuit, I am unsure (with regards to the RC circuit) whether I can calculate the combined impedence of the 10K resistor and the 100nF capacitor by simple addition, or by vector addition on a phasor diagram.
You will not be able to just add the resistance and impedance because the resistance and capacitive reactance are orthogonal to each other - therefore you will need to construct a phasor diagram and use a little trig calculate the value of the vector.

This is the chapter thingmaker3 is refering to.

Dave