Impedance

Teszla

Joined Jun 7, 2013
A voltage source has inner impedance of Z=Ri+jXi. To it is connected a load with impedance Z=R+jX. What value should the impedance of the load have if:

a) The voltage across the load is 90 degrees out of phase with the current?
b) The voltage across the load is in phase with the current?
c) The current is in phase with the open circuit voltage source?

Can someone give me some leads how to calculate this.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Can you write down the relationships between current and voltage for the 3 situations asked?

You do realise that the "inner impedance" is in series with the load impedance so it is asking you to combine these to fit the expressions you have written down, in each case.

Show some working for more.

Teszla

Joined Jun 7, 2013
If the current is 90 degrees out of phase with the voltage then I guess it's either a capacitive or inductive load? And for b) and c) I would guess the load impedance is pure resistance. Actually I don't see what's the difference between b) and c).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
To see the difference between b) and c), develop the equation for the current as a function of load reactance and also for the open circuit voltage and the load voltage, also as a function of load reactance. Then find the expressions needed to satisfy the constraints asked in each question -- they are different constraints.

Show your work.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So what is the phase angle of the voltage across the load relative to the current through the load?

What is the phase angle of the open circuit voltage to relative to the current through the load?

Do you notice that studiot and I are basically asking you to do the same thing?

Please do it.