Impedance matching

stealu

Joined Jan 13, 2008
I need to couple d sine wave output of a 8038 signal generator IC to the power line, can nebody suggest me the coupler

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The sine output from an 8038 is unable to drive a useful load. You will need to use a 100K pot and a good op amp to buffer the signal (use the pot as a level control).

Driving a signal into a power line is another thing entirely. You will need to use some isolation device like a capacitor or transformer to safely inject the signal onto a power line. This is a link to the Wikipedia article on "power line signaling" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication.

Working on live poeer conductors exposes you to a lethal hazard. Be very cautious.

stealu

Joined Jan 13, 2008
Thank you sir for ur suggestion.
This is my actual problem, i have got a coupler. When i connect the output of a signal generator to d input of the couple n observe d output of the coupler on d CRO its working fine. But d moment i connect the output of d 8038 to d input of the coupler the output is distorted. Wud be grateful if u put some more light on this. I feel its due to the impedance mismatch, the signal generator o/p impedance is 50 ohm but i donno wht is the o/p impedance of the 8038 for a sine wave o/p.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The output of the 8038 is very limited, which is why I suggested using a buffer to keep it from distorting. The 8038 sine output can't drive anything less that 50K ohms.