Impedance depending upon sources in 3 phase

elecidiot

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hi all,
Does impedance of a linear circuit depend upon the source? Generally we say it DOES NOT, then why does the zero sequence impedance differ from +ve and -ve seq impedance. See in all the three cases the geometry of the circuit remains the same but only the types of the sources change. Any clarifications would be appreciated.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Well, that clears things up... NOT!:D

Sorry I can't answer the question because I still have no idea what we're talking about. I'm going to leave this thread alone.

elecidiot

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hi all,
The doubt I posted is in a logical sense and it does not warrant a detailed study in sequence components of a generator. Referring to t_n_k, in the first hand I googled my apprehensions but was not satisfied with the search results. So only thought of approaching stalwarts like t_n_k here since this forum is like the last resort for people whom the google has given up :).

Now I will try to present the problem in a much logical manner.

Consider a star connected load having similar impedance on all legs. Let an impedance be connected from the neutral point of the Y load to the ground.
Now suppose we connect a sinusoidal voltage with same magnitude and phase (called technically zero seq voltage but that is not relevant to the logic here) between every terminal and ground, the voltage source in each phase sees an impedance to the ground called Z0. Suppose now we connect 3 sinusoidal sources with same magnitude and differing by phase angle of 120 deg one each at a terminal, the impedance seen by the source at a phase is called Z+ve or Z-ve which is different from Z0 said above. My question is in-spite of the same geometric distribution of the impedance why this discrimination logically.

Again am pinning my hopes on the stalwarts here. :)
Thanks again people

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
There must be a difference in the star point potential to ground depending upon whether one is considering the zero sequence current flow or the positive and negative sequence current flows.

Clearly the positive and negative sequence balanced sets you propose will not produce any potential rise of the star point to ground. The latter are balanced sets and therefore have no neutral current component to consider. In contrast, the zero sequence current set must flow entirely via the star point to ground and thereby cause a potential rise of the star point relative to ground.

The zero sequence current set produces a commensurate voltage rise in the load star point whereas neither the positive or negative sequence current sets produce any change in the star point potential relative to ground. The logical conclusion is that the inferred sequence impedances are inherently different since they produce different potential rises.