Immobiliser for motorbike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learner Rob

Joined Mar 1, 2010
Hi,
I am new to this site, and to electronics, so please be gently.......:confused:

I had a friend, who had a "kill switch" on his bike. To start the bike, you had to depress a micro-switch for 5 seconds, then the bike would start in the usual manner.

If it failed to start (or stalled) you had to repeat the action with the micro-switch.

I was wondering if anyone here, has any idea how he would have put it together?

I cannot ask him, he died in April last year. He was going to build me one, but never got around to it. I want it as much for security, as for sentimental reasons now.

Hope someone can help me.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
It the bike electric start or kick start?

If it is an electric start, you can run the starter button through a relay that is activated through the kill switch. That way the start button will only work after the kill is pressed.

Now for the 4 second delay, you could use a relay that has a delay-on-make of 4 seconds. So when you press the kill, it sends power to the delay-on-make relay. If you release the kill before the 4 seconds, the starter will not work. Holding the kill for the required 4 seconds or longer, will allow the starter to be pressed.

Let us know what kind of bike your working with and we can continue.

Learner Rob

Joined Mar 1, 2010
Thanks RM. And you were suggesting that this is put in the starter button power line, (via a switch to the unit).

Now all I need to do is source one in Australia. (fingers crossed).

Thank you for all your effort, I appreciate it.

Rob

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Thanks RM. And you were suggesting that this is put in the starter button power line, (via a switch to the u
No problem. And yes. The switch to the unit will allow the power to the starter button after the time is up.

As for sourcing it in Australia, there should be no problem. These are standard HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning) parts. They are used to make sure air conditioners are not cycled too quickly. If you kill the power and turn it on too quick, It waits until the time is up to start the compressor.

Most HVAC shops should carry them.

cismerio

Joined Apr 7, 2013
Hi Guys... I was thinking about a device that would handle the subject here the other way around. Here is the plot.

Lets say you are happily riding your bike when 2 subjects approach your from another bike, point a gun at you and want to take your bike away...What would you do? Give it up right? That is what I did.

It all happened very fast but while I was coming out of my bike, I had time to press a micro tact switch, concealed under the clutch lever, right below the light switches. That action started a timer set for 5 minutes to shut down the engine´s CDI module and kill the engine. At this point, I knew they were 5 minutes on a 360° radius from where I was robbed. When the bike was found, I had to press another switch shut off the circuit and get the engine back on again. Once activated, the circuit is backed up by an external LiFePo4 rechargeable cell to sustain the circuit running if the ignition/engine is turned down or even if the battery is removed. There is another concellead micro switch to reset the system and provide energy to CDI to run the engine back again. It is a very small circuit to be able to hide the instalation somewhere safe.

This is not a real story and this circuit does not exist (I have never seen one in the market) - However this is a story I hear everyday and it would be great if one of you expects could develop... I would love to have one made for my bike.

I´ve seen some time delay circuits out there but none applicable to the situation exposed here. PLease contact me if you come up with a solution. Good luck

Carlos Ismerio - São Paulo - Brazil
<SNIP>

Last edited by a moderator:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Guys this thread is 3 years old? There was another post to another three year old thread from a member with one post. I am guessing someone is trying to spam the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.