Images should be mirrored

readlearnpeace

Joined Apr 6, 2011
The images are distracting as binary sequence least significant bits are on the right, but the register sequence has shown them to be on the right, though this might work electronically, for a student to understand it and reverse the sequence of outputs is difficult. Simply mirroring the images would make it correct.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Since we know that binary count sequences follow a pattern of octave (factor of 2) frequency division, and that J-K flip-flop multivibrators set up for the "toggle" mode are capable of performing this type of frequency division, we can envision a circuit made up of several J-K flip-flops, cascaded to produce four bits of output. The main problem facing us is to determine how to connect these flip-flops together so that they toggle at the right times to produce the proper binary sequence. Examine the following binary count sequence, paying attention to patterns preceding the "toggling" of a bit between 0 and 1:
I will disagree. You are dealing with two separate conventions here. One is very simple, binary numbers. With numbers the least significant digit (LSD) is always on the right, MSD on the left, be it binary or decimal. The rules for numbers are quite rigid in this regard, else how will you know which side is which?

With circuits there is a different convention in play. Inputs are on the left (which is the LSD in binary counter, MSD on the right), be it digital or analog. Since the circuit defines LSD to MSD the number convention does not apply.

Both conventions are the norm, so you are going to have to get used to it IMO.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I couldn't have put it better than Bill has. As a learning resource I think it is right that the information provided at AAC accurately reflects the conventions in use in academia and practice, irrespective of how quirky they may appear.

Dave