I'm Probably Out of My League Here

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by unkilmal, Nov 6, 2013.

1. unkilmal

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Even so, I move bravely forward like a lucky fool. I once put a Dodge transistor ignition on a motorcycle and it ran, but roughly. I thought that I'd accomplished something. Then I moved the inductor pickup farther away from the flywheel magnets and magically the misfiring quit and it ran perfectly, although with no advance curve. But now, I realized that I'd actually done something : I'd filtered out the noise signals to the transistor and coil by attenuation. That was a moment of elation for me. Those are the feelings that I continue to seek. They aren't coming very often, but I gladly share in other peoples moments of inspiration. Once I was polarizing a motorcycle generator and found I couldn't get it to switch back after I'd gone the wrong way. Weeks had passed and I was getting frustrated with my attempts to get this bike out of the shop. Then I thought, What had I used in the first place? A huge truck battery! It turned out that current source was just as important as voltage when last used to polarize a field coil. Figuring it out myself gave me a high. I'm the kind of guy who's still trying to come up with the right solvent to un-pot a module from a 1996 tear down. I'm probably way out of my league in this forum.

unkilmal

2. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Well I'm in your league. Most of my 'Oh Wow' tricks and secrets came from educated guesses some theory and a little experimenting.

PackratKing likes this.
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Welcome aboard. Please read the ToS, automotive is one of our verboten subjects here.