I'm gonna buy an Oscilloscope

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Greetings Kenny,

It would be helpful if you could describe the types of signals (i.e. frequency range, digital signals, analog signals) you are planning to use your oscilloscope to observe.

hgmjr

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Greetings Kenny,

It would be helpful if you could describe the types of signals (i.e. frequency range, digital signals, analog signals) you are planning to use your oscilloscope to observe.

hgmjr
Are you considering a new or used scope. The reason I ask is that I see the prices on used Tektronics scopes at 10% of what they cost new. $300 for a 2236 dual trace 100 MHz scope.

When I was in your position I actually got a banker to write me a 1-yr. note for the $2600.00 cost of the scope using it as collateral. Paying off the loan 3 monts early did wonders for my credit rating.

It's not often you get a double bang for a single transaction

Kenny

Joined Oct 11, 2004
I want to see the existing signals on:
TVs, Handheld radios, Stereos, Phones, CDROMs, Computer ports (RS232, LPT, USB), Game Consoles, etc. Also, I want to learn electronic circuits design on: Analog (capacitors, transistors, opamps) and Digital
(from basic gates till microcontrollers with eprom memories).

I want to learn by applying the oscilloscope to any circuit that I find and observe the behavior of the experiments based on theory from Kuphaldt and other books.

OTOH, there is no problem to buy a used scope as long as is guaranteed by some reputable enterprise, do you know any one?

BTW, Where is the Tektronics 2236 on $300?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I was going to recommend looking at a PC socilloscope. If you look at the Similar Threads at the bottom of the page, or perform a forum searchfor "PC oscilloscope" you should get a few ideas further to those given by KrisKizlyk.

Dave

italo

Joined Nov 20, 2005
ANALOG scopes are in real time DIGITAL scopes are not. For a beginner i would sugest an analog scope. Farther more I sugest a dual amplifier with delay sweep. the speed is strickly related to $$$$ 100mhz for what you want is OK. May i further sugest a tektronic scope a used one is better then a cheap new.I have my used scope now for 10 years [no complaints]. Make sure that it comes with a manual otherwise in a couple of years you will not be able to calibrate it because of drift. and probes can add up to $100