I'll pay someone to build me a controller*****

shawninutah

Joined Mar 30, 2011
I am in need of a controller... for 110v motor... with up/down control... with limit for up & down.... & a timer between each up / down cycle....

I'd like the sensor to be some type of spool that a string could wrap around the shaft, which in turn would tell the control that it is all the way up or all the way down.

the timer control can be screw driver control of a "pot?"

I'm thinking parts would probably be less than $10.00 I'd be willing to pay $50+ for it. & If it works for me I would probably buy a dozen or so for other stores.

The purpose of the unit is to demonstrate a motorized hot tub cover...

the link to see the actual product is
http://www.bullfrogspasogden.com/accessories/gazeebo-cabana-escape-hot-tub-cover-shelter/

The unit comes with a key that a person turns to initiate up or down operation... but I am displaying this at home shows etc... & I'd really like it to operate on it's own...without me having to stand there & turn the key.

Any takers? :confused:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
How about a wiring diagram? Does it have a safety system to prevent it from crushing little kids that hanging over the edge...like garage door openers? Key operation is one thing...unattended operation is another. :(

Ken

shawninutah

Joined Mar 30, 2011
yep- that's part of the design... it will need to stop at the top & on the down side it will need to be set so that it stops 18" above the spa- "instead of going all the way down"....

I don't have any diagram etc... I was hoping some here would be able to create this for me... I'm happy to help with additional info etc...

my email is <snip>

Last edited by a moderator:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
One strategy to consider is just a geared down motor drive and a cam wheel that raises and lowers the lid. The motor can run all the time without any fancy control, except maybe an on/off switch.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Ya gotta be kidding. Good luck. You can buy new 3-phase AC or DC controllers on eBay for only a little more than that. Besides, what type of motor are you trying to control? That's kind of important. Some motors are impossible to control and maintain any kind of torque.

John

shawninutah

Joined Mar 30, 2011
right now there is just a simple on off switch/key... turn right sends power to up...turn left sends power to down... so we'd have to start from scratch...

shawninutah

Joined Mar 30, 2011
the existing motor is the motor out of a garage door opener.

straight up 110v and like 5 amp..

the control just needs to either send 110v or send 24 volts & I can use a relay to send voltage.

ifixit

Joined Nov 20, 2008
Hi shawninutah,

Why not just use a garage door opener complete with all the controls that you seem to need built in, up limiter, down limiter, force control, "electric eye" sensor.

Done. $50.oo CDN please:)... just kidding... about the $50.oo that is.

Regards,
Ifixit

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I didn't properly understand your need until I saw your product at the link you provided. So my first post was silly, because you already have the mechanism worked out. Let's try again.

As I understand it, you need a circuit to simulate an attractive model standing next to your hot tub, hitting the open/close switch every 30 seconds or so, whatever the cycle time is. Right?

So what exactly does that human have to do; hit the switch briefly (like a garage opener) or hold it down continuously while it moves? Assuming the former, is it correct that all you need is a circuit to close the contacts for ~1sec every 30 seconds, simulating what the model would be doing (minus the obvious sales impact of the model! ;)?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
First, that motor might not be rated to run continuously so you might want to look into that probably fine but just a thought..

but here is a simple idea to accomplish the task.. No circuit required..

Just get a regular wall switch and a piece of string.. Mount it so that when the top comes down it mechanically turns the switch off (this would enable the top to go up again). Then put a piece of string through a hole in the wall switch toggle so that when its up all the way it pulls the switch the other way (this would enable the top to go down again).

Wire it up so that the wall switch replaces the keyed switch.. Done.

I know goofy.. But it would work perfectly.

shawninutah

Joined Mar 30, 2011
yes the purpose of this device would be to replace the "model" salesperson that typically stands next to the unit and turns the switch up- down- up down etc...

the switch must be held in place during up/down operation.

I'm thinking instead of a string tied to the actual unit... it could wrap around the shaft of the drive mechanism. driving a bolt on a piece of allthread- when it hits one end- it trips a micros switch- reversing direction of travel... and power to this mechanism is interrupted by an adjustable time delay- allowing power to be on for 30seconds at a time and off for several minutes... and so the cycle goes.

anyone willing to tackle this... or maybe suggest a source for components- micro switch- relay timer etc...