IGBT datasheet inquiry

yassser

Joined Jul 25, 2011
hello ,

I want to ask about the GT60M303 IGBT : datasheet : http://www.toshiba.com/taec/components2/Datasheet_Sync//361/4169.pdf

1. in page 1 , what is the emitter-collector forward current and what is the difference between it and the collector current Ic.

2. in page 2 , switching time section in the table , does turn on time include rise time , and does turn off time include fall time , in other IGBTs , there was a time called turn on delay time and turn off delay time , but it was the time between the change in VGE and the start of the switching , but it was a much smaller time than the turn on and off time here .

3. in page 4 , the safe operation area graph , it says single non repetitive pulse , does that mean I can't use this IGBT to control a dc motor using a 10KHz pwm signal , with Vce=180v , ICmax=20A

thanks

Varkatzas

Joined Oct 22, 2012
1. The emitter-collector foward voltage is the foward voltage of the diode chip (you can see in the equivalent circuit diagram an anti-parallel diode, necesary for inductive loads).

2. In the switching time, as I understand, turn on time does not include rise time, same for the turn off and fall time:

-Turn on time: Time when the gate voltage rises up to 10% of the rated gate voltage. At this point there will be 10% of the rated current at the collector.

-Rise time: Time when gate voltage rises from 10% to 90%.

It´s similar for the turn off:

-Turn off time: The gate voltage drops to 90%.

-Fall time: The gate voltage drops from 90% to 10%.

3. In the safe operation area graph, there is a line - Ic max (continuous) -, that is for the DC. The problem with that graph, is that the tests were made at a chip temperature of 25°C and as you recall, current thru a material causes an increase of temperature. Also in those test, a single pulse were made until the failure of the chip, so the graph is mere indicative.

With your input parameters (V=180V, I=20A and f=10kHz), I would suggest another IGBT, maybe an IGBT module.

Hope this is usefull.

Varkatzas

Joined Oct 22, 2012
Sorry, I didn´t pay enough attention to the graph.

As you can see for a voltage drop of 2~3V (saturation voltage C-E reported on the datasheet) in the region of DC operation you can have up to 60A. However, as the IGBT will work in switched mode, considerations for power losses due switching have to be taken into account. And again, that graph only represents Safe Operation for a chip temperature of 25°C.

yassser

Joined Jul 25, 2011
thanks very much

concerning turn on and turn off time , the problem is that these values are very high , in another smaller IGBT(600v,30A) it was 63 ns , 150ns , does someone know for sure if this turn on and turn off time doesn't include rise and fall times ?