If you've been thinking of buying a better tripod...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Here's an excellent deal on a top quality tripod. Manfrotto is top tier stuff. I own several of their range, and this will be a lifetime item for most people.

B&H is a great source, very reliable and service oriented. Their daily deals can be quite exceptional. If I needed a tripod, I'd be jumping on this one.

This tripod will be leagues ahead of any consumer grade tripod you'd find for the price it is selling at.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1175938-REG/manfrotto_mk290lta3_bhus_290_light_ball_head.html

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
@nsaspook, by the way, one bit of advice which might save you learning it the hard way.

The lever locks on the legs are excellent but they have one user interface flaw. They can be very good at pinching you if you get the meat of your finger between the back end and the collar. It doesn’t take long to develop a habit of avoiding that, but pain is not the best way to learn it, if you can avoid it.

Just make sure you are grabbing the end of the lever, and not the rest.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
An alternative to a tripod that is convenient for field work is a monopod.
It's also handy for fending off overly aggressive squirrels :)
I have a Manfrotto monopod, in particular this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1291105-REG/manfrotto_mvmxproa4us_aluminum_xpro_video.html

Though it gets the most use for telephoto work, and only a little video. It can be used with, or without the base. It's really quite good, and it gets use as a makeshift boom occasionally.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The box was a little crunched but nothing was harmed.

Passed the VHS camcorder test.:D Now, back in the memories box you go my old friend.

I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer so this is just what I needed for the old FujiFilm FinePix S.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The box was a little crunched but nothing was harmed.

I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer so this is just what I needed for the old FujiFilm FinePix S.
Looking good. It’s a nice balance of size, weight, and stability for the dollar top build quality too.

Of course it’s most stable with the center post down. I think you’re going to enjoy it.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
In the last 8 years I have been quite busy discharging massive amount of big size cargoes (railcars, drilling rigs and windmill parts, most of it). Since every new consignee is interested in getting videos for advertising, we use to see lot of people with drones and cameras around us most of the time.

In the last discharge, I noticed a guy recording continuously along the blades once they were released on the truck. He was walking, almost running, along the 69 m piece (app. 230 feet) carrying a big size camera secured to a monopod which he seemed to hold with little effort. Surprised of how stable the camera was, to my question he showed the pan and tilt platform maintaining the orientation of the camera. It seems that the operation is quite simple; just a button you toggle for on/off. Around 600 USD bought locally.

By the way, 2 guys plus a drone, they could produce about 6 hours of raw material. After editing, the final result could be one or two videos of no more than 2 or 3 minutes each. Go figure!