If your wondering what that sound was today

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
It was someone in Ottawa cashing a 33 Billion dollar check for new warships. 15 new destroyers and frigates plus a host of coastal vessels.

This was added to the 67 F-35's and soon to be announced 30+ specialty aircraft.

Ouch, my pockets are empty.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Security is never free. Like it or not this is not a safe world.

Personally I would rather catch them while they are still swimming over than repel a beach head.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
It was someone in Ottawa cashing a 33 Billion dollar check for new warships. 15 new destroyers and frigates plus a host of coastal vessels.

This was added to the 67 F-35's and soon to be announced 30+ specialty aircraft.

Ouch, my pockets are empty.
It's actually a meager investment, long overdue, but timely considering world economics. I congratulate Halifax and Vancouver. It's going to be a problem for us out here in Alberta/Saskatchewan however as the roller coaster appears to be launching off it's rails in a vertical run. We are starving for skilled trades. With what some estimate at over 3 trillion in capital investment projects, the last thing we need is for eastcoasters to think they can stay home and not have to move to Alberta to make a living. But then again, maybe some of those fellows from the once golden manufacturing belt of southern Ontario, will decide it's time to move to heaven.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
At least you'll have aircraft on your aircraft carriers...

And you don't have to share with the French...
I don't think carriers are part of the mix. Our biggest concern is our northern borders, which will be tested in the race for resources. As such, ice breakers along with a contigent of battle capable craft are key. I suspect a component of unity with our southern neighbours is also at play.

'French' is an intregal part of the Canadian makeup. They will get a cut of the residual support and non military vessel budget. Quebec has some pretty desperate issues on the table, and hopefully they can 'reconsitute' thier national positon.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Sometime during WWII I remember they were talking about making full size (or larger) battleships from ice. This was a project for the USA I believe. It isn't as ridiculous as it sounds, as they were making these ships, not carving them out, and it turns out ice is pretty resilient. One of those odd stories on history channel. The end of the ware loomed before they got to far, and this was a war time contingency only.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
mythbusters did a special on that. "Pykrete" they called it. made a boat out of frozen newspaper and it worked for about 30 min.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
On the whole, I'm not a huge fan of the arms industry, but how wise would we be to let it wither away as a result of the current difficulties? If defence spending is cut back too far, it may become very difficult to procure tools which we may need to defend ourselves in future.

My Father's generation found this out in the 1930s, following the Great Depression of their era. After a period of disarmament, enormous efforts were needed to supply the men and materiel needed to counter Hitler et al.

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
Good points all, yes it is important to make these investments, but how bad did we let it get to have to drop 33 billion just on ships. Interesting side note, my niece in Alberta was doing cartwheels over the deal as the company she works for makes pressure valves and some big orders are for those shipyards.