If my email accounts don't have POP3 enabled, are emails still being downloaded into memory ?

Cadena

Joined Nov 4, 2018
Hi everyone,

I thought this was the best forum to post this, if it isn´t please let me know and I will remove it. I was trying to check which protocol my gmail accounts are using since I am running out of memory space and gmail is occupying 215 MB, which I don´t know if it´s just the space occupied by the app or app+emails. I have 1 gmail account (which had both POP3 and IMAP deactivated so I'm assuming it was using HTTP), 1 hotmail account (using IMAP) and 1 exchange account (which I don´t know which porootocol is using).

1. How do I know if my gmail account was using HTTP or not ? Does HTTP download emails into phone memory ?

2.What is an exchange account ? Which protocol is it using and does it download emails into phone memory ?

3. If I delete emails in my phone would they be deleted in the server as well ?

Chris65536

Joined Nov 11, 2019
I think the whole purpose of using the email app on your phone is to have it download everything, and keep it synced. If you don't want the emails downloaded, just go to gmail in a web browser instead.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Hi everyone,

I thought this was the best forum to post this, if it isn´t please let me know and I will remove it. I was trying to check which protocol my gmail accounts are using since I am running out of memory space and gmail is occupying 215 MB, which I don´t know if it´s just the space occupied by the app or app+emails. I have 1 gmail account (which had both POP3 and IMAP deactivated so I'm assuming it was using HTTP), 1 hotmail account (using IMAP) and 1 exchange account (which I don´t know which porootocol is using).

1. How do I know if my gmail account was using HTTP or not ? Does HTTP download emails into phone memory ?

2.What is an exchange account ? Which protocol is it using and does it download emails into phone memory ?

If you use the Gmail app you can enter all the emails from different sources, it will automatically set up the IMAP, POP3, servers for you, All emails are stored on the server not the phone.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi everyone,

HTTP/PS is used when accessing gmail via a web browser. HTTP is a general purpose Web communications protocol. HTTPS is a secure encrypted protocol. Its primary function is to confirm the identity of the Web server but is also used prior to logging on to a Web server to secure the logon credentials. And no it does not download email unless you request a download in the browser.

An Exchange account is an email account setup in Microsoft Exchange Server. Its native protocol is MAPI, but iMAP and POP protocols can be used.

A POP email client is designed to work offline...so yes...it will automatically download email to your phone. But you can set whether or not it leaves a copy on the email server.

MAPI and iMAP clients don't automatically download email. You have to manually set a option.

Generally, no, but depends on the settings for each type of email client software.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
If I delete emails in my phone would they be deleted in the server as well ?
That appears to depend on your email provider. I'm using Outlook Express to read email and I have accounts setup to not save a copy on the server after downloading, but the mail is still on the server in a trash folder that they (Yahoo) clean up periodically.