IEC DC Color Codes

Phil_TX

Joined May 14, 2008
Hi everyone, I'm a newby here and found site has tons of knowledge available and I would like to tap some of that knowledge with a few questions on IEC color codes.

Here's the situation: I am presently working on an oil production project in Russia. The project specs state that all wiring insulation colors are to follow IEC 60446. I pull this spec up and it only addresses AC circuits and states that DC circuit colors are not defined. Now that I have found this site I see the wiring color code page and it does identify the colors for DC wiring. The tables on this page state that the colors are per IEC, but doesn't state what IEC standard. Can someone tell me what IEC standard these color codes came from..?

Other quesions I have regarding DC wiring color codes are:

Does the IEC state wire colors for different voltage levels of DC voltage. For example, what would the colors be for these voltage levels:

125VDC
48VDC
24VDC
12VDC

I'll admit that the issue of wire colors as stated in the IEC are a bit confusing to me. Is there actually an IEC standard that dictates colors for the voltage levels I have listed or are these colors left up to some other authority..?

Thanks for any feedback.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hey Phil,
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry, I have no idea what the answer to your question is - but I didn't want you to feel ignored either ;)

Where are ya in Russia? It's like a whole 'nuther country, ain't it? ;)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Phil,Texas -Go wikipedia search-FUSE Electrical I think I saw all the color and
voltage's you are asking about. Are you(( REAL TEXAS LIKE BILL)) I do fire ant research and Texas is my place to bunk out and teach.DAVE if you move this off topic please advise,Phil. Thank's again as alway's