Idiots guide to build wireless transmitter / receiver

Doughnut

Joined Oct 30, 2012
Greetings from the UK :D – Help Please :eek:

What is required is if the door on an outside porch is opened, a bell will ring inside the home.

So I was thinking of using, an off-the shelf wireless contact transmitter (from a home alarm).

And also wireless door bell unit, but how do I make them compatible with each other – an idiots guide would be good

Any ideas / help / advice will be gratefully received

Extra notes: I’m a bit of a knob as the name implies when it comes to stuff like this !! :confused:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
... how do I make them compatible with each other...
It may be simple or it may be impossible. Can't tell without detailed specs. Can you find datasheets for the devices you are considering? You need a receiver and transmitter on the same frequency, at the minimum.

Doughnut

Joined Oct 30, 2012
Wayneh many thanks for your prompt reply

I can probably get the required spec for the contact switch, but as for the bell idea very doubtful.
Nothing has been purchased as yet, thought I'd speak to an expert first.

Or if somebody could recommend a similar devices if they are made, or how I could build one myself 'now stop laughing' :D but the door contact is a must as they are easy to buy and no very inconspicuous

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ah, well it's very likely you can use the contact switch as a pseudo doorbell switch and therefore you can just slightly modify the commercial wireless doorbell.

The only issues I see are that the contact switch is likely NO (normally open) whereas a doorbell is NC (normally closed), and it might be a challenge to hack your way into the existing doorbell button to substitute the contact switch.

(see correction below)

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
The only issues I see are that the contact switch is likely NO (normally open) whereas a doorbell is NC (normally closed), and it might be a challenge to hack your way into the existing doorbell button to substitute the contact switch.
I believe you have that wrong, doorbell switches are normally open, and close when you press it.

Those reed switches they use for home alarms, can be bought in either Normally closed or Normally open, and sometimes you can find them with both sets of contacts.....

So a Normally closed reed switch will most likely work (Since when it is close to the magnet it will be open) and when the door opens the switch will close to activate the doorbell....

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Oh crap, did I write that? It's 180° off of what I meant. Must be my German blood.

Of course you're right, a doorbell is NO. My security switches are NC, in the sense that they are closed when the magnet is nearby, when the door or window is closed. I suppose you might call that NO, actually. No magnet, it's open.

Doughnut

Joined Oct 30, 2012
Many thanks for all of the input

Think I'm now on the right track, thanks to the 'Experts' yes that's you lot!! and now have a good idea of what to purchase...

Will update as / when (time, if I only had more of it) with photos