Idiot trying to make a music box for his girlfriend.

bigboosh

Joined Oct 16, 2018
I'm trying to make a music box for my girlfriend. I think i know the parts I need and kind of vaguely how to make it but I figured I would go to the people who would know better to double check.
I found this: https://cpc.farnell.com/projects-un.../buzzer-12-24v-dc-usb-programmable/dp/LS03925 Which I'm going to use to store the music. What I wanted to do was attach it to a light sensitive switch so that it would activate when the box was opened, for that I found this: https://cpc.farnell.com/kitronik/2112/kit-light-activated-switch/dp/HK01471 which looks scary but I think i understand. My main issue is knowing how to power the circuit and where to get the parts to do that. Could anyone advise on how to do that and where to get the parts? I know literally nothing about circuits so excuse if this is all wrong.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi bb,
Note the operating voltages of those pieces of kit, you could use a 9V PP3 type battery to power both.
You need a mini micro USB cable in order to program the buzzer.
The quality is not going to be great and the volume low.
Also you need a 'pretty' box with a transparent lid.
E

Attachments

bigboosh

Joined Oct 16, 2018
Thanks for the response.
So for powering it I could just attach a duracell 9v battery and that would be fine?
I expected the quality to not be great anyway but that's kind of fine as it's just going to be a very simple melody it plays anyway.
For the box I was going to use a hollow book type of box if that makes sense
I would put the light sensitive switch on the top right corner away from the 'binding' so as to get best exposure to light when opened. I understand this might not work well in a darkened room as it would if i were outside but am i right in thinking the sensitivity of the switch can be adjusted?
Why would the lid need to be transparent?
Is this the simplest/most efficient way of achieving what I want?
again thanks for the help.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
The transparent lid would allow the light thru to the LDR, if you had decided to use it light operated.
Using a lid opening operated unit, a simple micro switch could replace the LDR PCB module.
E

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
For a music box any sensor that uses an active circuit will result in a short life for the battery. So a reed switch with a second magnet to bias it off while the lid is closed will work.