Identity Theft

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If someone uses the name of a big name as their ID, is that not a form of ID theft? I can prove who I am, but I am leery of people claiming to be who they are not. I think it is a practice that should be discouraged here on AAC. I'm not saying you have to use your real name, but don't use a real name that is not yours.

Isn't there a potential for liability too?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Those potentials for liability certainly exist. I believe the OP you are referring to is certainly not actually the person whose name he has adopted as a user name. I would doubt if anyone would be fooled into believing otherwise.

It is a possibly unwise thing to do, however. Not too many members are likely to give extra weight to his opinions simply due to the user name. Quite the opposite is more likely.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Never said they were, but how far is too far? The odds someone visiting this site and finding their name in use (twice) is pretty slim, but is this a precedent you guys are willing to set?

Once is a joke, but continual use is something else. How long is too long, a week, month, years?

I am a real fan of this site, I would hate to see it disappear over something dumb. That happens enough as is one the web.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
The Moderators do a good job of keeping us safe.
One of the many things that are done for us.
The Moderators are very good at multi-tasking
which we should be more thankful.

my name/username appears to have rattled a few feathers. it is not the first time.
THE Bill Gates most must be eluding to does not have sole-ownership of the name.
I will register with an alias to ease all concerned.

I still love this forum and all associated with it.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Mr. Bill Gates, I don't think anyone has a problem with
your Forum name. If the real B.G. shows up, great.
Famous people are reading good books,who knows what
else. You could have the same name.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Bill gates is no real issue, unless AAC starts to deal with identity theft.

I donno what Mod's have planned abt user name Bill Gates.