Identifying Laipac RF900DV tranceiver?

mbabayan

Joined Jul 12, 2010
Hello,

I have asked this in projects forum, but have gotten no response; trying in communications, which probably was more appropriate in the first place.

I'm trying to design and build a full-duplex RF intercom, and Laipac RF900DV (http://www.laipac.com/easy_900dv_eng.htm) seems to be perfect for what I want.
I found some used ones on ebay for a lot cheaper than new ones directly from laipac, however, I'm stumbled with one aspect.

As far as I undestand, there are two flavors of the unit - base and remote. Laipac fails to mention any information on how they are different and how to identify base vs remote units.

Is my assumption correct in that there are two physically distinct devices sold under same model name?

Thanks,
-MB

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Honestly friend, I have no clue. Just a guess.

Many units have a base station. Standard wired with a more powerful antenna and transceiver. The remote probably communicate with the base and have smaller antenna and power. You may need both.

Kind of like cell phones. You need the base (cell tower) and the remote(cell phone) to make the system work.

[ed]
Its right on the linked page:
The basic application is using one RF900DV Base transceiver ( 5V ) to talk to one RF900DV Remote transceiver ( 3.6V ). The Base unit can also talk to one or more Remote units forming a multi-drop schematic. The selection of the channel is simply by 4 input pin.
The base is 5v and the remotes are 3.6v Thats how to tell the difference.
[/ed]

Last edited:

mbabayan

Joined Jul 12, 2010
Received two from ebay - they have been listed as Remote. There are no markings on the device whatsoever telling that this is a Remote unit. No voltage spect, no part number, no nothing.

I'm really stumbled :mad:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I would shoot the company an email.

That is your best bet.

You just spent money on their product, and you are willing to spend more to make everything work.

Mention that and you will get the answers you need from them. ;)

mbabayan

Joined Jul 12, 2010
I have sent them an email; yet to hear anything back :)
I'm not sure if they are _that_ interested in me buying used modules from ebay :) Natually, I haven't mentioned that...

Cajun

Joined Nov 23, 2011
I have made a mother board for the RF900DV radios, the way to ID the Base and Handset there is an "B" label on the Base and "H" label on the Handset.
They work great but the only thing I can not make the Busy Pin go high or low, does anyone know how?

thanks
Cajun