Identifying components

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Krokonoster, Dec 16, 2012.

  1. Krokonoster

    Thread Starter New Member

    Dec 16, 2012
    I am a total n00b to electronics though making some progress in educating myself (Programmer by day...wanted to get a hobby where those skills might come in handy, but not too tightly coupled with what I do)

    Anyhow, got hold of a box full of components and a few of them I would like to know what it is (I'm fine with resistors, capacitors, etc etc)

    If someone could just look at the attached images and shove me in the right direction?

    Thanks in advance.
  2. GopherT

    AAC Fanatic!

    Nov 23, 2012
    Left, I am not sure, possibly a surface mounted (small) LED. Maybe you can see the manufacturers numbers on it.

    Middle is a condenser Microphone. ground terminal will be connected to the case (positive is the other leg). Do not connect without a resistor to limit current or you will burn it out.
    Far right is a mercury switch (conductive mercury will connect the other legs of the switch if it is tipped correctly).
    Krokonoster likes this.
  3. bertus


    Apr 5, 2008

    The first image looks like a piece of reel with SMD leds.
    The second image could be a transducer or an electret microphone.
    The third image could be an incadent bulb or a thermister (temperature sensitive resistor).
    A picture turned 90° might be help full of the glass thing.

    Krokonoster likes this.
  4. kubeek


    Sep 20, 2005
    The third one could also be a neon lamp.
    Krokonoster likes this.
  5. Krokonoster

    Thread Starter New Member

    Dec 16, 2012
    Wow, you guys are helpful and fast (was scared I'm going to get this "bugger off freak" kind of replies. :)

    That strip one seems to be led's yes. I pulled on it and realized the strip is actually some kind of "container" and you can push out what look like small square led's with super small connectors.

    Microphone..thought so. Thanks!

    Mercury switch. Yay, that sounds like a nice thing. Will experiment on it a bit later.

    Thanks a million guys. Hope to learn from this forum as I used to teach myself programming years ago just using a forum, no books. :-D
  6. ErnieM

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 24, 2011
    Rock it back and fourth.

    If you see a ball of liquid metal roll side to side it's a switch.
  7. DerStrom8

    Well-Known Member

    Feb 20, 2011
    Nah, we're not like that here ;):D

    I agree with the others. Personally, I'm not sure about the first, but the second looks like an electret mic (has a built-in FET, so you'll need a pull-up resistor and a pre-amp). The third looks to me like a neon lamp. ErnieM is right--if the little ball inside it moves, it's probably a mercury tilt switch. If it just looks like a blob of glass, and it doesn't move, it's probably a light bulb of some sort. If you can see a thin wire filament, it's just a standard incandescent bulb (probably a Christmas light). If you only see two metal plates facing each other, it's probably a neon bulb.

  8. #12


    Nov 30, 2010
    This site is a , "No Flame" zone (Dog bless the moderators!). I get a bit cute sometimes, so bring your sense of humor. If you mistake a joke for an insult, check your preconceived beliefs.

    ps, the one on the left is a strip of parts that are packaged for automatic assembling machines. The middle one is a microphone, and the right is a mercury switch. Be sure to read my signature's right down there...
    DerStrom8 likes this.