Identifying components

Krokonoster

Joined Dec 16, 2012
I am a total n00b to electronics though making some progress in educating myself (Programmer by day...wanted to get a hobby where those skills might come in handy, but not too tightly coupled with what I do)

Anyhow, got hold of a box full of components and a few of them I would like to know what it is (I'm fine with resistors, capacitors, etc etc)

If someone could just look at the attached images and shove me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Left, I am not sure, possibly a surface mounted (small) LED. Maybe you can see the manufacturers numbers on it.

Middle is a condenser Microphone. ground terminal will be connected to the case (positive is the other leg). Do not connect without a resistor to limit current or you will burn it out.
Far right is a mercury switch (conductive mercury will connect the other legs of the switch if it is tipped correctly).

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The first image looks like a piece of reel with SMD leds.
The second image could be a transducer or an electret microphone.
The third image could be an incadent bulb or a thermister (temperature sensitive resistor).
A picture turned 90° might be help full of the glass thing.

Bertus

Krokonoster

Joined Dec 16, 2012
Wow, you guys are helpful and fast (was scared I'm going to get this "bugger off freak" kind of replies. :)

That strip one seems to be led's yes. I pulled on it and realized the strip is actually some kind of "container" and you can push out what look like small square led's with super small connectors.

Microphone..thought so. Thanks!

Mercury switch. Yay, that sounds like a nice thing. Will experiment on it a bit later.

Thanks a million guys. Hope to learn from this forum as I used to teach myself programming years ago just using a forum, no books. :-D

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Wow, you guys are helpful and fast (was scared I'm going to get this "bugger off freak" kind of replies. :)
Nah, we're not like that here ;):D

I agree with the others. Personally, I'm not sure about the first, but the second looks like an electret mic (has a built-in FET, so you'll need a pull-up resistor and a pre-amp). The third looks to me like a neon lamp. ErnieM is right--if the little ball inside it moves, it's probably a mercury tilt switch. If it just looks like a blob of glass, and it doesn't move, it's probably a light bulb of some sort. If you can see a thin wire filament, it's just a standard incandescent bulb (probably a Christmas light). If you only see two metal plates facing each other, it's probably a neon bulb.

Regards,
Matt

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This site is a , "No Flame" zone (Dog bless the moderators!). I get a bit cute sometimes, so bring your sense of humor. If you mistake a joke for an insult, check your preconceived beliefs.

ps, the one on the left is a strip of parts that are packaged for automatic assembling machines. The middle one is a microphone, and the right is a mercury switch. Be sure to read my signature line...it's right down there...