Identifying component in laptop

kast

Joined Aug 8, 2012
I have a laptop that is working but it is not charging the battery, because it seems that my wife reversed the polarity of the transformer of the laptop.

I searched and googled a lot but cannot find any component like this or it's equivalent.

The laptop is an Asus A7CC

Can you guys help me ?

here goes a picture

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Oh! Sure ..... yer wife did it huh ?? :p BTW Welcome to AAC !! There are a lot of really good people here.

Last edited:
Well the markings say either 8C710 or BC710 and the package looks like a SOT-223. A BC prefix usually means a small signal transistor so maybe that's it?

I did find a few chinese sites wanting to sell "BC710"s but no mention of what it actually is let alone a datasheet :(

kast

Joined Aug 8, 2012
I don't have more pictures, and I cannot take more because I'm writting from the same laptop.

I can tell you that the blown component is very near to the battery plug.

I can also tell you that the laptop works with the transformer and it also work with a charged battery, the issue is that it doesn't charge the battery.

Can you guys tell me a replacement transistor for this one ?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Could be a transistor or a voltage regulator or something else. Is there something written on the mainboard to identify it? Any numbers?

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
I have been trying to find some relavent data sheets using the #'s in the column marked "type". So far the ones I have located show a different type of marking on the IC, this may be due to a change in the IC or something.

edit: How many pins are on the device? Just the 3 on one side and a larger one on the other? Or are there 2 more pins on the side with the larger "tab"?

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
I think I found it. You will want to check the datasheet typical applications against your actual circuit. Trace out where the pins go to and possibly post a schematic (CAD or Hand drawn) of what you found. I that I may have been mistaken in the package size as it may be a SOT-223 as someone else had pointed out.

Since you are saying that it does not charge the battery anymore and that this component is very near the battery plug, I believe that this is what you are looking for.

Attachments

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I think I found it. You will want to check the datasheet typical applications against your actual circuit. Trace out where the pins go to and possibly post a schematic (CAD or Hand drawn) of what you found. I that I may have been mistaken in the package size as it may be a SOT-223 as someone else had pointed out.

Since you are saying that it does not charge the battery anymore and that this component is very near the battery plug, I believe that this is what you are looking for.
Makes sense. Great work. How did you dig this up??

kast

Joined Aug 8, 2012
Thank you for the help BSomer, but do you think that to charge the battery someone would use a 150 mA Voltage regulator ?
That would take about 30 hours to charge the battery.

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Makes sense. Great work. How did you dig this up??
The screen capture I posted is from a pdf file of a SMD code book my employer provided me. I would share it here, but it is copyrighted material and you have to pay for current versions. There are other versions of the book available freely on the internet, but most are outdated and not as complete as the one I have.

The one I have is from here... http://www.turuta.md/

Some of the others are posted here... http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=454145&postcount=55

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Thank you for the help BSomer, but do you think that to charge the battery someone would use a 150 mA Voltage regulator ?
That would take about 30 hours to charge the battery.
There may be other devices with the voltage regulator to increase the current capability. Without seeing everythingaround the bad part and perhaps a schematic it would be difficult to say for certain. Like I said though.. I "think" I found the part. The coding matches the datasheet so that is a plus.