Identify This Style LED?

NFA Fabrication

Joined Aug 12, 2012
I recently purchased this amazing little work light ($60, Called "Sabre II")that has a single long LED. It is about an 1/8" wide, and about 2.5"'s long. It is very bright, and the package says that is is a "3 Watt" LED, and runs on a single cell 3.7V lithium battery. I have never seen an LED like this, and am trying to get more info on them so I can purchase them for other projects.

I bought it locally, but I found it listed here if this helps with any needed info: http://www.autoparts2020.com/rsdev/part_detail.jsp?PART_HDR_ID=1381445

Thanks for any assistance!

NFA Fabrication

Joined Aug 12, 2012
Hadn't seen that one before. Worklight, 3 Watt, LED.

3 hours continuous runtime. Hmmm.........:cool:
This thing really is amazing, I just want to source the LED's for other uses. The charger is comes with is only CV, not CC/CV charging, so I worry about the life of the lithium battery. But the amount of light you get off of this thing is pretty insane for it's size!

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
This thing really is amazing, I just want to source the LED's for other uses. The charger is comes with is only CV, not CC/CV charging, so I worry about the life of the lithium battery. But the amount of light you get off of this thing is pretty insane for it's size!

I know what you mean, I have a few of these to play with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130788063286?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and some 30 Watters. Brightness is unbelievable.:cool:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
These are blue or UV LEDs with a phosphor, same as most white LEDs.

the background... *bonk* for emoticon hitting a brickwall.

Was that unintentional, or do you also use the thread to get a message accross?

I don't mind but in the engineering world or if you work for one of these big Corporations, you need to wear at least sneakers. And if you must it has to be artistic.

In school they always told us: "What if everyone does that"... and else what, *bonk*, hitting a brickwall.

I mean if you do this on a forum of a Semiconductor corporation, chances are you get banned. Freescale has one such avatar in their library but they have many actually.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I don't mind but in the engineering world or if you work for one of these big Corporations, you need to wear at least sneakers. And if you must it has to be artistic.

In school they always told us: "What if everyone does that"... and else what, *bonk*, hitting a brickwall.

I mean if you do this on a forum of a Semiconductor corporation, chances are you get banned. Freescale has one such avatar in their library but they have many actually.
"Toe pic" is pretty much a standard on rifle forums. People lay them on the floor to get a pic for identification. Since they are long and skinny, most end up with a toe in the bottom of the picture due to leaning to make everything fit in the pic.

Best practice is to leave everything out of the background that is not relevant. Get a medium grey bed sheet, which is PERFECT for photos. One can simply cover a ton of stuff up (instead of re-arranging) and end up with a photo of exactly what you are trying to show, without showing the world a book collection, body parts, clothing, or anything else. Just a tip. :)

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
$20 for a 10W LED is gross. They cost less than $3 now.

I don't mind if vendors increase price upto 50%. Just for knowing where to buy decent stuff. But 10x times increase? I don't really get it what is the added value.
Not saying that links prices are the best because they typically are overpriced from what I've seen BUT..

Not all LED's are created equal either..
Package type/LED type/reliability/quality,spectrum,etc... all influence a price.. Of course this is also the ".LED boom" right now and manufacturers know they can get a higher margin due to the "cool factor" now.

Of course wait till China goes.. "Oops..we screwed up.. In a few years our country is going to be a toxic pool of mutants if we don't do something about it.. " and then a $3 10W LED goes bye-bye as regulations/safety/environmental concerns,etc.. become the norm.
Have you seen the increase in smog/suicides,etc... Its just waiting to explode over there.. I'd expect a HUGE riot in a short while over there.. It won't last long.. Get um now..

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I'm taking advantage of the Boom for experimenting.;)

I buy the cheap, Chinese, Ebay; LEDs to play with. Can't beat the price, and have yet to burn any of them up.:cool:

Can't justify spending a big wad right now.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Not saying that links prices are the best because they typically are overpriced from what I've seen BUT..

Not all LED's are created equal either..
Package type/LED type/reliability/quality,spectrum,etc... all influence a price.. Of course this is also the ".LED boom" right now and manufacturers know they can get a higher margin due to the "cool factor" now.

Of course wait till China goes.. "Oops..we screwed up.. In a few years our country is going to be a toxic pool of mutants if we don't do something about it.. " and then a $3 10W LED goes bye-bye as regulations/safety/environmental concerns,etc.. become the norm.
Have you seen the increase in smog/suicides,etc... Its just waiting to explode over there.. I'd expect a HUGE riot in a short while over there.. It won't last long.. Get um now..
I'd rather guess in a few years they cost less than $1.

Or do you think I want to pay $5000 to $10,000 for a computer?

IBM PCs were manufactured in Scotland in the 1980s, and we even had factories here in Ireland. All gone bye-bye for political reasons.

Think of Thailand. Microchip has their main factory there. As for cars yes 2 billion wireoff due to floods. What do you think? They'll move back to America? This will unfortunately never happen. USA and Europe in a decade or two will be tourist resorts. People are not even able to apply for jobs here in Ireland for most of the transnationals.

Cherrypicking the top university candidates and dumping the rest that's causing the high prices, the products are almost the same.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I'd rather guess in a few years they cost less than $1.

Or do you think I want to pay $5000 to $10,000 for a computer?

IBM PCs were manufactured in Scotland in the 1980s, and we even had factories here in Ireland. All gone bye-bye for political reasons.

Think of Thailand. Microchip has their main factory there. As for cars yes 2 billion wireoff due to floods. What do you think? They'll move back to America? This will unfortunately never happen. USA and Europe in a decade or two will be tourist resorts. People are not even able to apply for jobs here in Ireland for most of the transnationals.

Cherrypicking the top university candidates and dumping the rest that's causing the high prices, the products are almost the same.
There is a reason the US/Scotland,etc.. cannot make products that cheap.. Its ALL about the cost of regulations/standards/certifications/worker safety,etc.. That WILL change in China and WILL effect prices (making them higher). They are just running a muck now.. It will change. (other countries will FORCE them to change).. All that smog/pollution,etc.. doesn't just sit there over China forever.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
There is a reason the US/Scotland,etc.. cannot make products that cheap.. Its ALL about the cost of regulations/standards/certifications/worker safety,etc.. That WILL change in China and WILL effect prices (making them higher). They are just running a muck now.. It will change. (other countries will FORCE them to change).. All that smog/pollution,etc.. doesn't just sit there over China forever.
I would not trust these tainted food news from China. Actually I have eaten some foodstuffs from the questioned categories. No melanine I still live.

Compare the population count Asia + India, and Europe + America.

It will change yes. Their use of technology will even increase 10 fold in the next decade. Europe + America = tourist resorts.

It is a bit depressing, many chinese shops here and even most of small European shops have staff from India. How many shops in India have staff from Europe?

I think we should more be concerned with our own survival and not make postulates about foreign populations.