Idea needed to charge ultracapacitor by generator

naila86

Joined Dec 13, 2010
Greetings

I need to connect Ultracapacitors with a DC generator with an Output of almost 3 KW. These are the specifications as written on the generator:
Nominal 48 (52.5V, 53.3A) or 36V (39.5V, 70.8A)
The concept is that, the generator is supposed to charge the ultracapacitor and the energy shall be stored in it. At the time when energy is needed, it can be retrieved from the capacitors. Also in parallel to the capacitors i'm thinking about connecting Lithium Ion battery so that it will facilitate more charge storage and better efficiency. But before this I need to focus on the ultracapacitors.
Can anyone please provide me a kick-off idea to start this project. How to know the rating of capacitors? Any connection diagram available that can be followed?

I have never worked with ultracapacitors. But I'm sure that the capacitors always discharge with a curve decreasing with time. So how would an ultracapacitor here will store energy of the generator and in need will provide a smooth output without the being effected by time?

Thanks a lot!

tyblu

Joined Nov 29, 2010

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
This sounds like a wind power project, batteries would be much better suited for the task, capacitors, even super caps do not supply the amount of power that a battery the same size is capable of.