icd2 clone for dspic

bassplayer142

Joined Jan 2, 2007
I do realize that this is a clone off of that particular unit you posted. I'm just wondering if the thing is legit. So far, I can't find anything bad about it.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Last edited:

bassplayer142

Joined Jan 2, 2007
Maybe that would be the best idea. I kind of wanted the direct connection where you can change the program while it is running, but It would probably be better to start small.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that development board. The only reason I'm changing micro's to dspic is so that I can build the model in simulink and the final product can be on a dip style chip that is easy to interface with a custom long term circuit board.

Could I use something like this in combination with the pickit2 programmer? By looking at the board, It looks to me that it is simply a zif socket and you route the programming lines yourself according to the chip datasheet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ICD2-ICSP-Unive...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c53c856dd

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The PICKIT 2 or the ICD2 will not support new MCUs from Microchip. That will require a PICKIT 3 or ICD3. How important this is, I do not know. I have a PICKIT 2. My component pusher do not stock the newest PICs anyway. So I am happy so far. Will probably use the PICKIT 2 until it break down.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
If you ebay around you can get a real ICD2 for about $50 - $80. I think a real Microchip brand programmer is worth the extra $20. Then you can send it in for a discount on an ICD3 when your ready.

About the pk2 thing supporting your chip, heres the answer. MC is trying to sell their new PK3 with the newer chip. Doing this makes the Pk2 obsolete. Heres where they screwed up, the Pk2 has been "in dev" for many many years and many people have worked in it for free. So naturally when the PK3 came out, it didn't have all hte nifty upgrades they put out over the past 3 years. So naturally the users got mad and say the PK3 sucks compared to the pk2 because it didn't have all the bells and whistles,,,,, "YET" ! So they stopped supporting new chips on the pk2 and they are supported on the pk3. Well the old school MC users threw an abosolute fit! So MC decided to support newer chips through sept. 2010 to quite them down till they get all the upgrades people are wanting. Now supporting newer chips on the pk2 is a weird thing. You can't use mplab on some of them, but you can write the code in mplab, compile it, then use the pk2's seperate application to flash the hex file to program it. Thats why you see two compatability charts for the pk2, one is for the application, the other is for mplab.

Last edited: