IA problem

gurupush

Joined Mar 21, 2014
first of all i would like to thank all you people for helping me out till now with my problems..but still i am unable to run the project,,,..i am posting a picture with what i am trying to do so that it would be easy to understand...i have a load cell whose output is connected to the INA118 and whos output is again connected to LM311(used as an comparator). ihave a dual rail supply with +12v gnd and -12v .

so what is going wrong, i want to further drive a relay with this circuit using a MOSFET(IRF540) but i cant get there because there is still some problem with this circuit,why that comparato doesnt give output +Vsat and -Vsat...?
the IA is working Fine

Theres another thing that i want to mention i created the dual rail supply myself,,so when i put my DMM on DC mode i can see +12 regulated vtg an the leads but when i swith to AC mode for the same leads i get 24v reading on my DMM ,,,Why?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That looks perfectly reasonable, but where the 24 volts of AC is coming from can wreck the deal. You really must look into the difference between the drawing, which looks perfectly good, and practice, which gives you 24 volts of AC on the 12 volt output. There are a lot of mistakes that can happen between the drawing and the circuit board.

First, the tiny capacitors that keep the regulators from oscillating must be connected close to the regulator chips,
second, they must be correct according to the datasheet for that exact regulator.
.22 and .1 are right for the LM7812
The 7912 needs more capacitance.
While you're in there, be sure to look for simple mistakes.

Attachments

gurupush

Joined Mar 21, 2014
it looks like circuit is ok...theres no mistake....but i just dont get it that how am i getting 12v regulated then??? and at same terminals 25v AC?.... i mean the AC between +12 and -12 is 50v....how??

RamaD

Joined Dec 4, 2009
Theres another thing that i want to mention i created the dual rail supply myself,,so when i put my DMM on DC mode i can see +12 regulated vtg an the leads but when i swith to AC mode for the same leads i get 24v reading on my DMM ,,,Why?
On normal low cost DMMs in AC mode, the input voltage is rectified, averaged and the resultant DC is measured and displayed. With a DC input at the terminals of the DMM, and DMM in AC mode, Higher figures are normal.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
On normal low cost DMMs in AC mode, the input voltage is rectified, averaged and the resultant DC is measured and displayed. With a DC input at the terminals of the DMM, and DMM in AC mode, Higher figures are normal.
That part fooled me. Even the old Simpson 260's (in the 1960's) had a coupling capacitor for AC measurements to stop the DC from getting in.

RamaD

Joined Dec 4, 2009
That part fooled me. Even the old Simpson 260's (in the 1960's) had a coupling capacitor for AC measurements to stop the DC from getting in.
Cost cutting! Saving One coupling cap rated higher than the highest AC voltage allowed and the contact for switching it through the switch!