I would like to split the 124 AC voltage so I have one part 112 AC and the other part 12vDC

ewillustration

Joined Jun 25, 2019
I have 124 AC voltage. I would like to split the 124 AC voltage so I have one part 112 AC and the other part 12vDC. How would I go about doing this?

Please look at picelectric.jpg

Thanks!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Does the 112v device have no tolerance?
Most services can vary at least +-10%.
Home depot have 12v transformers, what is it for?
Max.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have 124 AC voltage. I would like to split the 124 AC voltage so I have one part 112 AC and the other part 12vDC. How would I go about doing this?

Please look at picView attachment 180392

Thanks!
Welcome to AAC.

I feel as though you have some confusion about voltage. If you use a transformer to get 12V from the 120V, you still have 120V. What you can split is amperage though it is unlikely you will need to concern yourself with that. What you probably want to do is put a 12VDC power supply on the line, and power the AC device from it as well (effectively powering two 120VAC devices), there’s no “splitting” involved.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I suspect the 124v the OP is seeing is the normal variation of a N.A. service, there is no guarantee that voltage will be seen over an extended period, it will fluctuate according to time of day, demand etc.
An answer is needed as to how close a tolerance is required for the equipment being supplied.
Max.

ewillustration

Joined Jun 25, 2019
Thanks guys.

I would obviously use a Rectifier to convert the AC to DC.
But only want to divert 12vDC from the 124vAC and have 112vAC left over.
What do you think the most efficient way to split the AC and DC?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Can you show the requirements of the actual application?
There is a few methods you could use but it may be simpler if the facts are known.
Max.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Thanks guys.

But why? Why do you need exactly 112VAC? We don’t understand the true requirements...

First, to me, 124VAC exactly is an unrealistic requirement. Mains run from 113VAC to 127VAC in countries where 120VAC is the standard. Your circuit designs need to take that 14VAC swing into account.

Secondly, you can’t split an AC voltage into a DC component and an AC component. At least as far as I know.

Others have suggested the conventional approach. Supply 120VAC to your high voltage load and 120 VAC (in parallel) to s circuit which gives you 12VDC.

Your attempt to “split” the AC voltage is unconventional.

I hope my explanations make sense to you. Otherwise, please respond to me regarding where I am wrong.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would love to tell you but cant at this time.
To make it simpler how can I split the AC and DC, from one AC source?
I afraid that without exact details it is almost impossible to give an answer.
Regardless, if splitting an AC source, you will have two AC sources before any conversion to DC.
Max.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't care much about what you want and the electricity does not either. I would start with a transformer that has a primary and two secondary windings. You can make the secondary output voltages anything you want. I bet you can even get it custom wound for not munch NRE. The secrecy affectation suggests that you are not a serious person. Only con artists use that rap any more.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
By keeping your reasoning secret, all you have done is make us all think you have no idea what you are talking about.

It is possible that there is good reason for what you are asking, but we cannot guess at it, and without additional information we cannot help you.

Right now your question looks like nonsesnse. I, at least, would require more information to change that opinion.

Bob

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
Well, you can just drain off the 12V. Easy-peasy! There is a tap up on the transformer feeding your house. Just open it one quarter of a turn.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thanks guys.

It is not possible to "split" the power as you are asking. What IS quite simply possible to do is to have both 12 volts DC and 120, or 112, volts AC from the same transformer, from a separate winding.

Now, just as others have asked, we need to know what it is you need in the way of power, so that the answers will be better than random wild guesses. So far all that we can tell you is that a "spli" as described is simply not possible.