I would like to split the 124 AC voltage so I have one part 112 AC and the other part 12vDC

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Thanks guys.

I would obviously use a Rectifier to convert the AC to DC.
But only want to divert 12vDC from the 124vAC and have 112vAC left over.
What do you think the most efficient way to split the AC and DC?
Pipe dream.

Just get the stupid transformer and you will have 124 VAC and 12 VDC.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Take two 124 VAC to 12 VAC transformers. Put the primaries of both across 124 VAC. Take the output of one 12V secondary as your 12 VAC. Put the other 12 VAC secondary is series with the 124 VAC in such a way that its phase is opposite the incoming voltage so the output will be reduced to 112 VAC.

The voltages are strange, and as was pointed out earlier in the thread the tolerance of power line voltages in most locations is large enough to encounter 112 VAC to 124 VAC.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Once again, we need to know more. How much 12 volt power do you need? It could be lighting a single LED light or it could be cranking over a big diesel engine, as two extremes. And why 112 volts AC? And how much current at that voltage? The normal line voltages here in much of the USA vary from a low of 110 volts to a high of 125 volts in normal times. And all common household devices are made to accept that range.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
This is a classic thread , right from the title down to the diagram in post 1 ....

What about if you get a knife and slice the two wires along their length , divide the strands so that 12 go one way and 1 goes the other.
That should divide the voltage 1 to 12 shouldn't it??? And put a bridge rectifier on the 1 strand for DC ..

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
This is a classic thread , right from the title down to the diagram in post 1 ....

What about if you get a knife and slice the two wires along their length , divide the strands so that 12 go one way and 1 goes the other.
That should divide the voltage 1 to 12 shouldn't it??? And put a bridge rectifier on the 1 strand for DC ..
OZy is just being nasty and uncivil towards others!
While I can create a circuit to do the split, it would be both unsafe and useless, so I will not be doing it. The fact is that splitting the 129 volts AC line is unsafe at best, and often terribly dangerous. Aside from that, it is also unstable and often the source of unfortunate random failures. The simple and safe method to obtain those two voltages is by using a transformer.
BUT if the TS will not reveal the application then my guess is that it has something to do with overthrowing some government, and I will not be party to such a revolution!! Also, it would violate the protocols of this website, being a transformerless power supply designed to electrocute people. I will not support that effort.