I would like to control (switch on/off , dim) the light bulb using my mobile.

questioning.a.forum

Joined Jul 4, 2014
This is my project -
I would like to control (switch on/off , dim) the light bulb using my mobile.

These are my three Questions -

1. What could be the different ‘channels' by which the smartphone could communicate with the bulb.
—> By different channels i mean radio signals like Wifi, bluetooth etc
—> By smartphone i mean an app designed to communicate using some form of signals.

2. What can be the electronic hardware that will be used for such a communication to take place between the smartphone and the bulb.

3. Third Question -

Is it possible use a 'wireless adapter' to receive the signals coming from the smartphone (app) and “somehow” read those signals to convert them into an action such as switching the light On or Off.

How will the “somehow” be possible ?
Does the wireless adapter need to be connected with a micro controller or a micro processor or something else completely ?

Edmunds

Joined Sep 27, 2010
Google "home automation" or "smart home". You will get plenty of hints. WiFi and bluetooth ready made modules are not difficult to find, but it all depends on what you feel comfortable working with. Apps are also available for both, iOS and Android, but I'm not sure what you will want will be free of charge.

One more exact direction to dig is a family of products called XBee.

Edmunds

Lennytheloon

Joined Nov 12, 2009
Hi.

Have you thought about using a raspi as the hardware interface between the mobile phone & the lamp??

I have one and find it's uses limitless. There is an iphone app that can be used to send control signals to the raspi in order to control the lamp etc.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Can I suggest an alternative, more eco-friendly and health-benefitting method?
1. Get off butt
2. Walk to switch.
3. Operate switch manually.

:)

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
:eek:D I admit that I am not in favor of a zero effort world but...

Talk about an internet connected switch and you might need it to turn on lights or other systems while you are away from home. If you don't know when you are going to be home, lights on a timer are only part of the solution. For example a doctor that wants their country home to look lived in but they are on call and are never sure whether they will be heading back to the cabin after the restaurant or a cruise on their boat, and when they will be heading into surgery ASAP. Turn the timer lights on from their phone if vacation ends early.

If you are using short ranged bluetooth or infrared remote then it could be used as an aid for independent living by people with physical challenges, like a war veteran with a spinal injury or somebody with late stage MS.

It is also a project that fits into a larger move towards everything being connected. That is an area where everyone should be interested in doing some project work.

Data acquisition multiplies the roles for an actuation project like this when you start doing both input and output remotely.

Eventually the whole world will be one cybernetic creature and we will nodes in its system.

:p

3PedalMINI

Joined Jul 13, 2014
Take a look at Lutrons new https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=lutron caseta very reasonably priced

If you want to make something of your own then start with http://www.globalcache.com/ that will give you your network point for your phone/computer.

It could be as simple as you going to a web browser and typing in the address or as complicated as you making your own app

Im in the home automation - audio visual field and do lighting control all the time. Caseta is more for a single room, RadioRA2 is more for retrofit and adding lighting control for your home and then there is Home Works which has to be installed when the house is being built