i wonder why we use the ceramic inclued Al2O3 aluminum oxide while its an insulation but we need the

Long292

Joined Nov 18, 2018
i wonder why we use the ceramic inclued Al2O3 aluminum oxide while its an insulation but we need the peltier transfer heat as well as posible. So what is the mission of Al2O3 in this material

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
But u can see Thermal Conductivity of aluminum dioxide reallyyyyyyyy low, so i really confusion
Well I guess everything is relative, but I wouldn't say it's "really low". It's lower than most metals, but far above the things typically used as (thermal) insulation. Glass is a crappy insulator and aluminum oxide is 30-fold more conductive.

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I nees a serious answer cos tomorrow i join in an important examination, so "By magic" isnt a allowable answer :)
Then maybe you shouldn't participate in the important discussion. If they ask, just use the "by magic" answer that you were given above.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
For critical applications, where electrical insulation is needed with good thermal conduction, beryllium oxide is used, which has a thermal conductivity of 285W/mK (for comparison copper is 400W/mK).
Its disadvantages are cost and toxicity.

Now for electrical insulation with really good thermal conduction, you can use diamond, which is 2000W/mk (why it's call ice in slang). :D

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We used alumni ceramic substrates in micro electronic circuits because the thermal expansion matched that of the metal it was mounted on. This may be total BS, but it was what I was told.