I will describe something and can you answer the questions that I have following it?

ssolitare

Joined Nov 29, 2010
Sorry about this.

So a key is inserted into the car and is halfway switched on. An ECU that recieves electric signals from the ignition recognizes this and runs a check. The check fails and now the ECU must trip the ignition and warns the user that it has done so.

How does the ECU trip the ignition? Does there need to be a special component, a switch on the circuit board or what?
What is it called and can you describe it to me?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Oh okay so a contactor.
I continue to use the word relay. search for "automotive contactor" and see how many results you get vise "automotive relay". The word "Contactor" is usually reserved for high power applications. I suppose the starter relay could be considered high power, but the automotive industry continues to refer to it as a relay.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't think ssolitare is going to buy a part and build an ignition stopper/ user warner. Maybe it's time to ask, What do yo intend to do with this information? If you find a relay, what will you do with it?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I don't think ssolitare is going to buy a part and build an ignition stopper/ user warner. Maybe it's time to ask, What do yo intend to do with this information? If you find a relay, what will you do with it?
didn't sound to me like ssolitare was going to buy anything. Also didn't mention any plans to modify a car. IMO we should not take the automotive topic crackdown to the point of automotive topic witch hunt.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Huh?

I just want to avoid a relay witch hunt, as in, how much work should go into finding a relay nobody is going to use?

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
The ECUs Im familliar with disable the ignition circuit internaly in the ECU by blocking the IGN signals. Some used to have a 1Hr or half hour time out if the Ign was left switched on & would then start. Also have never seen a circuit published. I have some books published for training by Ford showing a picture of the inside of the ECU & showing what the parts do. Bosch werent happy about the info being released at the time.