I will be away for a while

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
To all my friends here at AAC--

I need to be more active & spend less time on the computer, so December 31st will be my last day on AAC for the year .... I will return at the start of the New Year on January 1st. Thank you for understanding, I'll miss you all very much. Try not to miss me too much!

Regards,
Matt

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Nooo! Please don't leave me alone on a remote island with R!faa.
Put me on a boat with a Bengali tiger!
Why do I have to wait for a whole new year to see you back?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004

I need to be more active & spend less time on the computer, so December 31st will be my last day on AAC for the year .... I will return at the start of the New Year on January 1st. Thank you for understanding, I'll miss you all very much. Try not to miss me too much!

Regards,
Matt
See you then. The best example of self control I have seen in years!

Happy New Year!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

Regards,
Matt
Did this get cleared by all moderators? Sorry but you are not permitted to leave the forum without unanimous approval by all mods. :)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
BTW If by "more active" you mean more exercise I am behind you 100% with getting away from the forum. I am not on the forum much at all during the summer as I am usually out on my bicycle or out sailing.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Yes, "more active" in the sense of physical exercise. I'm actually surprised how many people have been taking this seriously though. You guys might want to re-read the original post ;)

*wink wink*

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yes, "more active" in the sense of physical exercise. I'm actually surprised how many people have been taking this seriously though. You guys might want to re-read the original post ;)

*wink wink*
I never really had a problem with weight I had been thin most of my life well into adulthood. I'm 6'1" and had always been between 170 and 180 pounds.

Several years ago I my yearly vacation was at a resort in Antigua that featured small boat sailing. They would place different flags on shore to identify the expertise it would take to sail during that time. The ultimate was the black flag, equivalent to a black diamond in skiing.

After a couple of hours of sailing under the black flag, I decieded it was time for a break and went ashore. Standing on shore I saw a man in his 70s just tearing it up out there. The guy was just great. I said to myself I want to be that guy when I am his age. And I want some young punk standing on shore saying "look at the old dude out there"!

When I go home I decided to start really trying to take care of myself. I did not know what I was in for till I stepped on the scale. I was over 210 pounds. I had a lot of work to do.

I bought a bike. I was lucky to be able to ride 5 miles without getting tired. The hills around Pittsburgh looked like mountains to me.

I keep at it and that summer lost 25 pounds. The next year, after my tour of Italy, I was down to my old 170 pounds be it briefly.

Those "mountains" soon turned into speed bumps. I can no easily ride 60 miles or more and that is with touring gear.

I still struggle with my weight. I am back up to 192 pounds. It s really hard to keep the weight down over the winter. Though I can do a better job on my diet just those sweets are so hard to give up. :)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I never really had a problem with weight I had been thin most of my life well into adulthood. I'm 6'1" and had always been between 170 and 180 pounds.

Several years ago I my yearly vacation was at a resort in Antigua that featured small boat sailing. They would place different flags on shore to identify the expertise it would take to sail during that time. The ultimate was the black flag, equivalent to a black diamond in skiing.

After a couple of hours of sailing under the black flag, I decieded it was time for a break and went ashore. Standing on shore I saw a man in his 70s just tearing it up out there. The guy was just great. I said to myself I want to be that guy when I am his age. And I want some young punk standing on shore saying "look at the old dude out there"!

When I go home I decided to start really trying to take care of myself. I did not know what I was in for till I stepped on the scale. I was over 210 pounds. I had a lot of work to do.

I bought a bike. I was lucky to be able to ride 5 miles without getting tired. The hills around Pittsburgh looked like mountains to me.

I keep at it and that summer lost 25 pounds. The next year, after my tour of Italy, I was down to my old 170 pounds be it briefly.

Those "mountains" soon turned into speed bumps. I can no easily ride 60 miles or more and that is with touring gear.

I still struggle with my weight. I am back up to 192 pounds. It s really hard to keep the weight down over the winter. Though I can do a better job on my diet just those sweets are so hard to give up. :)
The last time I was truly overweight was when I was about 12-13. I was a short kid, and weighed about 140 lbs. Several years later--10th, 11th, or 12th grade, I was having severe stomach problems. I would have frequent anxiety attacks, which would make me feel sick to my stomach, so I didn't eat much. I dropped about 30 pounds within a few weeks. My senior year of high school, I was about 110 lbs and borderline anemic. If I had contracted the flu, I would have likely died. Thankfully I made it through. My first and second years of college I was slowly building up my weight to a healthy level again. Once my third year came along, I was at a decent weight, and I have never had problems since then. I must have a high metabolism, because I don't get much exercise at all. Most days I'm either working or sitting at my computer for the entire day. Sometimes one even consists of the other. Only recently have I picked up bike riding again, walking, and a favorite--airsoft games. But I still don't get out enough. I plan to get out a lot more this coming year. I live and work in Boston, so there are plenty of places to go. I just need to figure out what's where so I can find my way back to my apartment if I get lost :p

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
How old are you? I was pretty much the same as you well into my forties. Didn't need to do much and I stayed thin. It started to fall apart mid to late 40s . When I was young I would drink milkshakes like crazy trying to put the weight on. Now I can't touch them.

You have a lot of good riding up there in Vermont. Circumnavigation of Champlain is on my list of several possible tours this year.

Consider coming to Pittsburgh and riding the Great Allegheny Passage to DC. It's an easy ride with all trail pretty much all the way to DC.

BTW Getting lost. That is one of my favorite activities on a bicycle. I take my GPS and just go. I have been on roads just a few miles from my home that I never knew existed. It can be a little dangerous though. I remember turning down a road and I thought I had stumbled into a scene from Deliverance. It was not too bad till I started getting chased by a pack of dogs. Good thing I had a downhill run right in front of me. :)

Last edited:

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I'm at the gym 2-3 times a week. Working out with the other fighters. From new year, I'll start jogging for 45-60 minutes Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I got this philosophy/metaphor:

You put money in the bank to save for later - hold that thought.

The body is also a "bank". When you exercise, you put "money" in the "bodybank". This will benefit you later.

I caught you joke DerStrom8 - good one.

BTW: I've read you nick as DerStorm8 for years, and I couldn't get the link to your Tesla avatar.... Usually I there is a link.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
How old are you? I was pretty much the same as you well into my forties. Didn't need to do much and I stayed thin. It started to fall apart mid to late 40s . When I was young I would drink milkshakes like crazy trying to put the weight on. Now I can't touch them.

You have a lot of good riding up there in Vermont. Circumnavigation of Champlain is on my list of several possible tours this year.

Consider coming to Pittsburgh and riding the Great Allegheny Passage to DC. It's an easy ride with all trail pretty much all the way to DC.

BTW Getting lost. That is one of my favorite activities on a bicycle. I take my GPS and just go. I have been on roads just a few miles from my home that I never knew existed. It can be a little dangerous though. I remember turning down a road and I thought I had stumbled into a scene from Deliverance. It was not too bad till I started getting chased by a pack of dogs. Good thing I had a downhill rum right in front of me. :)
I'm old enough to know better but young enough to do it anyway :D:p

Lake Champlain is a couple hours north of me, and on the opposite side of the state. It's a little out of my way, but my hometown makes for some nice bike riding too. Great views, both on my road and on the main road going through it. My local library is at the center of town, right on a small green. Most beautiful place I think I've ever seen. That green is over 250 years old :p

Anyway, I'm starting to get the hang of city life. I'm finding more landmarks and learning the setup, so I'll be out more frequently during the coming year ;)

I'm at the gym 2-3 times a week. Working out with the other fighters. From new year, I'll start jogging for 45-60 minutes Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I got this philosophy/metaphor:

You put money in the bank to save for later - hold that thought.

The body is also a "bank". When you exercise, you put "money" in the "bodybank". This will benefit you later.

I caught you joke DerStrom8 - good one.
I've been thinking about purchasing a gym membership, but I'm just worried I won't have enough motivation. The school has a gym, but I'm not sure that it's available to employees. I think it's only for students.

The "bank" analogy is excellent. I've seen it so often in reality, too.

BTW: I've read you nick as DerStorm8 for years, and I couldn't get the link to your Tesla avatar.... Usually I there is a link.[/QUOTE]

Haha, you're not the only one. A lot of people read it as "Storm" instead of "Strom". "Strom" is German for "current". Funny story behind that. I might bring it up in a new thread soon. Been wanting to ask a particular question for a while now.

Tesla is there to serve as my inspiration, and so that other people might remember him for what he's done for the world.

But feel free to call me Matt. It's a little easier to say and spell then DerStrom :D

Regards

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Estudié español en la universidad también. (En realidad, yo nací en Sudamérica).
Feliz Año Nuevo a todo el mundo donde quiera que se encuentren.