I want to use a 12v dc actuator to make a can crusher.

bkhood1991

Joined Feb 9, 2016
Hi I am wanting to make a can crusher. I want to use a 12v dc actuator. I want it to simply crush the can and automatically retract back and keep going until you push a stop button. I was thinking maybe some photo eyes and latching relays or even a timer. But I need to know how you would wire this up so it will work right. And I need to convert the actuator 12v to 120v . Any suggestions about how to go about hooking this up. Maybe a step by step

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Might need to get more specific to get help. Do you have a specific actuator in mind? If so, more details (amperage, maybe dc resistance and/or inductance) will help. As for the control side, there are many regulars here who can probably help you out, but you need to figure out what you want. Does the optical sensor immediately trigger crushing? If so, is it going to crush someone's hands? Do you want delays before each crush? If it were my project, I'd want less automatic crushing and more safety, but it's your call.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Try: www.surpluscenter.com for linear actuators.12 V DC, 110 lb., 9 in. stroke about
$82. Then as was suggested some time ago, 2 rotating wheels ( car or smaller trailer wheels ), one belt driven, but keep hands away. No report back on project.

bkhood1991

Joined Feb 9, 2016
I'm going to have a gravity fed can loader where they are stacked on top of each other . I want it to crush one can and then the other one falls down and then the actuator will come back and crush that can . Pretty much continuous action . Until you hit the stop button . The actuator I looked at didn't have any of the information on the page about amps or anything .

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The amount of current (torque) will depend on the forces required, which could be done by empirical testing.
A linear actuator of the correct rating might do it.
Max.

bkhood1991

Joined Feb 9, 2016
That's the link to the video I want it to do the same think but have a can feeder at the end where the cans are stacked on top of each other in a rack of some sort

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I'm hoping this is a 'Just for the fun of it' project being the crusher in the video was about useless as far as what I expect a can crusher to do and the time it should do it in.

If it can't make a soda can the thickness of a dime in less than two seconds per cycle it's too weak and slow! :(

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As I mentioned, you should measure the torque required, a linear actuator capable of the necessary linear speed and force would achieve it.
You may have to monitor the maximum current in order to prevent overload.
Max.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
How much force to crush a can? With a stabilizing board on top of a can to insure a flat contact, with a 5 gal. bucket centered over can, filled with water to about 2/3 full & added another bucket & filled until can shrunk
by 1 in. Total weight 49 lb. Looks like 110 lb. actuator should do. The expensive model comes with a slide pot. for which I see no need as cheap ?? one for $ 10 less has top & bottom limit switches.

bkhood1991

Joined Feb 9, 2016
I posted the link to the actuator I need . I just need to know what's next ? You have the actuator ? I need a convert it to 120v . Will I need relays for reversing polarity ?timer? Photo eye ? Ex

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is .5"/sec and non-adjustable limit switches so if using these you would need to set the maximum travel for the L.S. when extended.
Max.

bkhood1991

Joined Feb 9, 2016
how would you wore it up if I wanted to have the actuator fully extend and retract back and keep doing that until I hit a stop button ? Would I wire the actuator to a latching relay to a timer then to another latching relay?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So you want a cycle start P.B. etc then advance until the extend limit switch, then reverse until retract limits switch and repeat, with a cycle stop button included.
Max.

bkhood1991

Joined Feb 9, 2016
That sounds like it . Where would I wire my convertor into this ? Going from 12v to 120v . Wanting to be able to plug it into the wall

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
First you need to obtain or build a 12vdc supply of a suitable power rating in order to run the motor .
Then you need the circuit required to run it, should be possible with relay logic.
Max.