I want to use a 12v dc actuator to make a can crusher.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
And what was wrong with using the higher powered 115 VAC one I referenced from the same place that was 1/3 the price that only needs one SPST switch to revers its direction? o_O

The one you have chosen has a average stroke speed of .5 inches a second which fora full out and back cycle will take around 30 second to do. Also it only has a 20% duty cycle rating which on the standard 5 minute run time rating would let you crush 2 cans every 5 minutes. :(

Just making things more expensive and complicated while slower and weaker just for the Rube Goldberg learning experience? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I did not see any ref. to speed on 120 V AC. unit. Bet it is slow.
On 12 V unit this is my take on internal wiring. With +12 V on red wire rod extends until it opens SW A, motor stops. Wires reversed, motor turns in reverse until SW B is opened.Linear Actuator 00000.jpg

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Now I see why you want the pot. Two comparators to detect & position , H bridge or relay & other misc. parts.
My brain is not working to well today, maybe others can give you a schematic.

bkhood1991

Joined Feb 9, 2016
Well what type of actuator would y'all use to speed things up? I would like a faster one but the crushing power goes down when you look at the faster ones. The high speed actuator

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Hydraulics, pneumatics, larger more powerful linear actuators, flywheels....

Actually the 1000 pound unit more than likely has a higher travel speed being it has a substantially more powerful motor.

2 amps at 120 volts is 10 times more power than 2 amps at 12 volts.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I think the best way to approach this whole project is that you tell us how many cans you want to crush, how fast you want them crushed and what you are willing to spend and we work from there.