I want to make LTSPICE model for IKW40N120H3 from Datasheet. How can I do?

rahuls569

Joined Oct 9, 2022
Hello, I am learning LTPICE Software. I want to know how I can model any IGBT, MOSFET, or diode in LTSPICE from Datasheet.
Is there any Website for downloading the spice model directly?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Hello, I am learning LTPICE Software. I want to know how I can model any IGBT, MOSFET, or diode in LTSPICE from Datasheet.
Is there any Website for downloading the spice model directly?
It's not a simple matter to convert datasheet values to a Spice model, since they use entirely different parameters.
I know of no website with such information.
You best bet is to try to get a Spice model from the manufacturer.

Fortunately if you find an LTspice model with voltage rating, Vgs threshold voltage, on-resistance, and gate charge, close to the MOSFET you want to use, that is likely adequate for most simulation purposes.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You may be able to find a spice model that you can use from the manufacturer. You may be able to look for online collections that contain the model(s) that you seek. Making your own model from a datasheet is not something you have even a snowball's chance in hell of doing successfully for a MOSFET or an IGBT. It is possible to construct "behavioral diodes" without too much difficulty because the number of parameters is limited to a relatively small number. The "conduction region-wise linear model" has only 9 parameters to worry about and can be used to make a number of different "ideal" diodes. The other model is the "standard Berkeley SPICE semiconductor diode" model which has, by my count, a mere 35 parameters to wrap your head around. MOSFET and IGBT models easily have hundreds of parameters. I have some familiarity with the LEVEL 49 model which has over 100 parameters. I'm comfortable with manipulating about a dozen of them and I've been doing this for a while.

Depending on your intestinal fortitude you might want to try digesting this 600+ page monster

https://docslib.org/doc/11258428/hspice-elements-and-device-models-manual

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I have run across tools that allow you to take information from the manufacturer's data sheet (usually by taking sample points from their plots, not values from the tabulated parameters) and plugging it into the tool and it will spit out the values of the parameters that control that portion of the behavior. This is essentially what the manufacturers do to generate their models in the first place (though it's heavily automated, of course).